Polyps spreading out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a small group of polyps at the center of my tank, and near the top. Water flow is moderate. They are looking extremely robust and healthy, which is fine by me, but I want the colony to spread out and cover a larger area, should I move them to a weaker lighted area of the tank?

How long have they been there and what kind of polyps. It can take months for them to start to spread and if your tank is new it could be longer. And it depends on your water quality and lighting. Info on tank would be helpful.....

If they aren't spreading/growing/multiplying fast enough for your liking I would be inclined to try target feeding them before I'd try lowering their light ration. As Seaham said it is also important that your conditions are good as well (so you have to be very careful about your husbandry should you try target feeding them).

I've had a small cluster of pink zoos that is just finally starting to fill out some and I've had them since March. They're by no means starting to "take over" anything, but at least they're beginning to multiply.

Polyps are different. I had a small colony of pink buttons that multiplied slow enough so that one day I just looked at them and realized that they filled in really nicely. I got another small rock of orange buttons (probably 10 to 15 polyps) that spread like crazy when I gave it something to spread onto. I have another small rock of deep blue polyps that started with 6 polyps and is now above 20, but I can't get it to spread to other rocks. And still another rock with orange and green polyps that refuses to spread at all, even on itself. :) I might try target feeding them though to see if I can get them going.

-j

Do you put anything like coral - vite or coral accell in your tank. Some kind of vitamins or groth accelerator

Back
Top Bottom