Polypterus AKA bichir help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefmonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a polypterus from my LFS that I trust pretty well and got scant advice from the clerk other than they should do fine with African cichlids and aren't picky and will eat anything that fits in their mouths. It's little, and I put it in my 55gal rift valley cichlid tank. It got its caudal fin nipped a little when it first came in, but now things have setted down. mostly it either hangs out in the rock work or just hangs right below the surface. I thought it would be mostly a bottom dweller. I remember reading an article on them in TFH about 10-15 years ago, but can't remember what it said about care, so any help would be great.

There is an article around here about bichirs by Fruitbat. You could PM him with any questions, he is an expert on bichirs.

Reefmonkey....

What sort of things do you need to know? I'm guessing that you have a specimen of Polypterus senegalus because it is the most commonly available bichir.

It isn't at all unusual for smaller bichirs (and sometimes even large ones) to hang around at the surface, especially if there are plants for them to wriggle in to. They are, however, primarily bottom feeders and your fish grows it is likely to spend more time at or near the bottom of the tank.

Is your African Cichlid tank set up with the high pH and hardness that those fish prefer? If so then you don't have the optimal situation for your bichir. Though Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri and Polypterus ornatipinnis have been found in Lake Tanganyika, they usually inhabit only the swampy areas where rivers and streams enter the lake. Bichirs are remarkably tolerant of water conditions but most of them don't much like very high pH. Also, African Cichlids can be quite territorial, especially when they're 'in the mood' and they might cause your bichir some more grief. Keep an eye on things and be prepared to move the bichir if necessary.

Your bichir (if indeed it is P. senegalus) will eventually reach about 12 inches in length and then your African Cichlids might be at risk. It is true that bichirs will eat practically any 'meaty' foods and will nail a fish that blunders into its path if the fish is small enough to be swallowed. Give yours a varied diet and stand back to watch it grow. Sometimes you will see rates of 1 - 2 inches per month depending on how much you feed it.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

-Joe

Thanks for the info, everyone. Fruitbat - I don't add any rift lake salt or anything like that. Houston water is pretty hard and high pH so I've never had to, even though pH/dH aren't quite as high as recommended for Africans, so it might not be AS bad as a usual rift lake tank for polypterids. Right now I feed my africans cichlid flakes, slowly sinking color pellets, and thawed frozen spinach a couple of days a week. Should I be supplementing the polypterus diet with something meatier?

Overall, how do you think the polypterus will do in my current setup? Give it to me straight, do you think he will die, linger, survive, or thrive? Are they generally considered hardy?

Bichirs are quite hardy, and I anticipate that yours will at least survive, if not thrive in his current surroundings, although that will mainly depend on just what cichlids you have. I would be supplementing the diet of yours with some earthworms, beefheart, and/or shrimp pieces (variety is important) toosed in just after the lights are off for the evening.

Do you think that it will pose a problem for Africans to feed the bichir meaty foods? I mean, will they get the dreaded Malawi bloat? :? Then again, the bichir needs those foods, so I guess you are kinda stuck.

Ah, but feeding an appropriate amount, and only after dark (when the cichlids are mostly asleep and the bichir is active) should avoid the cichlids consuming much of the bichir's food.

Back
Top Bottom