Pond Algae Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xeon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I keep several saltwater tanks, so most people that know this assume I know everything about tanks and ponds in general... wrong. Currently my wife's boss has asked me about algae in his pond and what he can buy to eat it. Initially I thought he was talking about a tank, not a 1000 gallon pond, so I suggested an Otto algae eater. My personal approach to algae is finding things to eat it is all fine and dandy. However, for my first line of algae control I like approaches to control the water quality and parameters.

With that in mind I need to find out what he uses for filtration... or most likely what he isn't using. With an outdoor pond I imagine the sunlight plays a big role in algae growth. I have one fresh water tank to my name and had to move it out of the sunlight because in the summer especially it alway had algae breakouts. I'm not sure if much could be done about that.

I'm looking for some general tips on what I may suggest for some good nutrient export I guess. Any brief tips or general ideas appreciated also.

What type of algae? I know that there is a string algae control thing. Does he have any lilies? They can shade the water and control algae growth. I am beginning excavation for my pond tonight, infact, and am planning every last minute detail. Good luck with the algae.

And check his filtration.
The String Algae control is from Aquascape and do not, no matter what, use UV filters.

The type of algae would probably help I guess. I have no idea, I may call him directly since the third person approach takes to long to hammer out details.

Well, string algae looks like string. I am guessing that it isn't string algae and is pea soup colored water. Hold on for a bit while i fish up some info...

Okay, aquaclearer bacteria from Aquascapes is (quote) bacteria that helps start and maintain a pond's health and clears the water.

Try that. How old is the pond? Maybe he needs to clean or buy new filter media.

By using deductive reasoning my guess would be that it is the pea soup type of thing. I am not familiar with fresh water algae types, but I think he asked my wife after he asked her why she kept her water bottles at work. I culture my own algae or green water for myself, rotifer cultures and others who ask for some. I use the water bottles for storing and for giving away. It's a stretch, but my best guess at the moment. I will check out the Aquaclearer.
Thanks,

Dave

Get more plants. Floaters are good because they take up nutrients and block out the sun. Lillies are great too. Anacharis is also a great plant because it helps clear the water and adds oxygen.

I am in the same situation as the Xeon...a Ton of saltwater experience, but no pond experience. I would think the same approach would work though. In a salt tank, you control algae by controlling its food. All algae feed on a few basic nutrients.
Nitrates, Phosphates, and Silicates.

If these are not present, then the algae will significantly decrease if not disappear all together.

Now...how do you control it. Either mechanical or biological. Same as you would control ammonia. You can buy things that will pull it from the water, such as Nitrate pads, or you can put things in the water to compete for the food....plants. Algae is a plant. Plants eat the same thing algae does. So it stands to reason that if you have a pond that has a healthy amount of plants, they will starve out the algae by comsuming its only food source. lilies will also control the amount of sunlight allowed into the pond. Combine these two approaches of competition and sunlight regulation and the algae should be greatly reduced. Now...this is by no means the "quick fix," but it is the long term, natural approach.

Back
Top Bottom