Pond Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to purchase a pond heater, but I have no idea what the differences are. What features am I looking for? What are some good brands? My pond has a surface area of something like 10-16 and a max dept of 4'. I assume this doesn't matter too much as the de-icer just maintains a hole in the ice.

I picked up a stock tank heater for my pond at at farm / home store, I went with the submersible in stead of a floater , also set it on thin stone so it would not come in contact with the liner.

i am from mass i tryed some thing new this year i took the top of the pump and let it open with no hose so that the thing looks like a small
fountain it keeps the water moving fast enough to stop it from freezing it worked great has not frozen solid yet and it is 6+12+4 feet deep

I researched just about all de-icers before buying one.I've read that floating de-icers are best because they will just about guarantee that a portion of surface area won't freeze.During extreme temps it is recommended you shield it from strong winds.Sinking de-icers may not,depending on the depth,give that kind of assurance.The one I purchased is backed by a 3 year guarantee.It doesn't need a seperate device to protect it from contacting and burning the liner.It is safe against any type of liner. It's called Farm Innovators Ice Chaser. I paid $33.00 at yourpondstore.com.It's rated at 1250 watts.Purchase the TC-3 thermocube($12.50) with it-a must.It will cycle the unit on at 35 deg and off at 45 deg.and cut the energy usage.There is a de-icer that uses 150 watts called Thermopond and claims it works but I've read their have been many problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom