Pond Snail Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bertiefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
So to get straight to the point,
I've been growing pond snails in a separate little pot so that I may feed them to my puffer fish when they're big enough.
I have had some snails lay eggs in this pot and just today I noticed that there are loads of these really tiny worm-like creatures wiggling about everywhere! It came to my attention when one of the snails went alongside a bunch of its eggs and then off popped this tiny worm thing which slithered all over them and then left, which led me to see loads more!
I'm not worried about them harming the snail eggs as such (unless they are!) but as I already have baby snails in there from a previous bunch of snails, it seems not to affect them.
Uhm yeah... So what are they and are they doing?!
Picture below...
wormssnails.png

Attachments

• wormssnails.jpg
    wormssnails.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 110
Those look like detritus worms, they normally appear when there's to much uneaten food or other organic waste in the system.

Are they pinkish in colour ? Do they make a sort of S curve if they swim ? Do they ball up if you stir them up ?
If so, you have Dero worms.. the latest, greatest live fish food, and I would be deleriously happy if I could get them here in Canada. They are replacing live BBS, especially with guppy breeders, being excellent food and cheaper by far than BBS.

They are not parasites of any kind, they are detritus feeders and are usually kept with snails, they seem to have a sort of beneficial relationship with each other. Often kept with daphnia as well.

Back
Top Bottom