Pondering selling the 55 gallon freshwater tank...need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
We own a 55 gallon all glass tank, with hood/lights, stand, 3 filters (2 hob and 1 canister), the tank will be stocked. What I am wondering is mainly, how much would be a good starting point to sell this setup for? The filters are: 1 Aqua Clear 30 and 1 50, and a Rena XP2. The hood/lights are all glass with fluorescent bulbs. I have 2 heaters in the tank at the moment, one is a 100 watt, the other a 50 watt. The stock is as follows, 2 needle nose fish, 1 spotted sail fin plec, 1 clown plec, 1 clown loach, 1 peacock eel, and 1 dragon goby (plus about 50 billion trumpet snails). What would you price this for? The reason I am even pondering selling this tank due to time/financial reasons, the tank is kept up well, but I am not always able to provide the attention the fish deserve.

Thank you in advance,

Bear

I'll give you $50 for all of it if you pay for shipping.

:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, in all seriousness, I'd check your local craigslist for similiar selling items to get an idea of what this stuff is going for in your area.

The hard part will be selling the equipment and livestock as a single package. most people looking for equipment don't typically want immediate livestock with their goods, and most people looking for livestock are usually looking for specific animals.

you're also more likely to get a better rate if you piece the stuff out, but that entails a lot more work on your end to list and sell the items individually.

I would also check your local Craigslist page. What kind of stand does the tank have? Most 55's around here at least generally go for $200-300 depending on the extras. I agree with Neilan, you're much more likely to sell the setup with no fish, maybe see if you can return the fish to a LFS for store credit?

thank you for the advice folks, you're already helping.

As for anyone else, please feel free to chime in, I will turn down no one's advice.

Thank you again

A lot depends on what condition the equipment is in. I would think that 50% of the new price is fair for good equipment. I would pay $2-300 for your dry goods if it is in good shape.

I would also suggest selling the tank separate from the fish. Maybe try a local aquarium club & see if anyone want to buy the fish.

The question is, how fast do you want it gone? If there is no rush in selling it, then sell the fish first, as this will obviously leave them a home as you are getting rid of them. If there is a rush, I would still sell the fish first, but I'd get what you can at a good mom and pop pet shop, if you can't find a better deal.

Going along with jsoong's point, condition is important, and how NEW it is often influences the condition. Aged fish equipment really drops the value, IMO.

i would also sell the fish first to make sure they go to a good home
Than based on condition and expense of the equipment
(for example i would pay A LOT more for a cannister filter (even used) and a plant light)
Granted these items are more expensive first hand, but they are far more versitile!

Okay, what I'd do is sell the tank with everything listed except the XP2 and AC30. You will get very little IMO if you include them in the package and most likely the buyer will have no need for that much filtration. I'd try to sell the setup for $225 if it has a cheap stand ($75 more for real wood such as oak or cherry, etc. instead of the cheaper particle board). New XP2's go for ~$110+ nowadays so I bet you could get $80 shipped for it. The AC 30 probably won't get you much, maybe $15. I'd list the fish on www.aquabid.com It's free and you might get some takers, especially on the clown loach and clown pleco. I wouldn't be surprised if you sold all of your fish and got $50 out of them. The sailfin pleco would probably sell for $10-15 depending on size, the clown loach $10 and the clown pleco $20+. The eel must be worth $15 too. You'll get more $ if the fish are larger. All of the prices including the ones I gave you for the equipment are assuming that they are in good condition and CLEAN. There's nothing that would turn me away from something faster than looking at something that is dirty. It makes me think that it wasn't taken care of proplerly and I'm not going to take a chance and purchase something of unknown quality for a little less than I could get it for new. Clean up your equipment and that will get you more people looking at your stuff IMO.

i got my 55g for 150. that came with gravel, 2 fish, filter, media, food's, auto feeder, and 2 extra lightbulbs.. and a solid wood stand... If that helps any x.x

I got a 125 with a nice custom stand and a hood, overflows (former SW setup) and MH ballasts/endcaps for $50 and that's because I wanted to give the guy something for it. Unfortunately for me I didn't have space at the time and I had to sell the tank. There are lots of good deals out there and tanks will range in prices. I'd expect about what I said you could get out of it. Certainly there would be more people interested in it if it were priced less but I'd still expect it to move out at that price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom