ponds and dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have worked so hard to grow plants and put my pond together all summer long. Well now my dog has destroyed all my plants. He keeps getting in it and man am I so mad at him. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? I'm in the process of trying to teach him its not ok. Man I could beat him to death j/k ;)

My dog just drinks the pond water and chases frogs.
Yesterday she chased off two green herons.

Might teach the dog not to go into the pond
Unless it is a LAB they are pretty smart about most things but....

You could use the invisible fence to train your dog not To go near the pond.
Al

What kind of dog? Age? Size? I train rescue goldens, very possible to reward him for staying the F. Away from the whole thing.

Use your voice(find that oh sh*t pitch the dogs will react to) and a load of bread or bag of treats and spend 5-10 half hour sessions of supervised outdoor time

marsh said:
What kind of dog? Age? Size? I train rescue goldens, very possible to reward him for staying the F. Away from the whole thing.

Use your voice(find that oh sh*t pitch the dogs will react to) and a load of bread or bag of treats and spend 5-10 half hour sessions of supervised outdoor time

I agree he will learn. It's a 100+ pound German shepherd that is highly trained. The problem is he is an outside dog that runs free on 26 acres. My wifes parents that live behind us have a big pond and he knows he is allowed to swim in it. Now he is just confused. Lol

Aha, then he's just being a dog. Make like Homer Simpson and strangle him! (wish I had a big yard like that!)

You didn't say how big you pond is, so I don't know if this will work. I read this in Mother Earth Magazine few years back. It was to keep deer out of the garden. Basically you use fishing line attached to stakes around your pond. In the article the deer couldn't see the fishing line, but could feel it and wouldn't go into the garden. I tried this with my black Lab, using very low test fishing line. She knew it was there, but wouldn't go through it. I used very low test line just in case she did go through it, it would break very easily.

DanSanDiego said:
You didn't say how big you pond is, so I don't know if this will work. I read this in Mother Earth Magazine few years back. It was to keep deer out of the garden. Basically you use fishing line attached to stakes around your pond. In the article the deer couldn't see the fishing line, but could feel it and wouldn't go into the garden. I tried this with my black Lab, using very low test fishing line. She knew it was there, but wouldn't go through it. I used very low test line just in case she did go through it, it would break very easily.

Hmm good idea may help with training him thanks

Back
Top Bottom