Poorly Rasbora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krissy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed my Rasbora has swelled up quite badly and is also looking rather pale. Certainly doesn't have as strong an orange coloured streak as the other 2. I also noticed when I switched the light on that it looks like he's got 2 red soars on his tummy, just below his little mouth! Don't what area that is actually called but hey!

Any ideas what's wrong?! I'll add a photo I took with my phone. Not the clearest but hard to catch the little bugger! He's trying so hard to keep up with the other 2 but often keeps dropping to the bottom of the tank.

Before anyone asks, there are no known problems between any of the fish. I have 3 mollies, 5 tetras, 3 zebra danios and 12 baby mollies (most of them soon to be re-homed!) It's an extremely peaceful community!

I have bought some Interpet 'Anti Internal Bacteria'. I'm going to take the carbon out the filter first thing tomorrow and treat the water. I'm guessing this won't harm the babies?! They are only 4 months old.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Krissy

Attachments

• image-3546251817.jpg
    image-3546251817.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 71
Has your tank gone through the nitrogen cycle?
I had the same rasboras, and 2 were always fatter and paler than the other two, I guessed they were females. At night they all lost their black hatchet mark and their bodies were pale.
I am not sure about the red sores though, are they on it's gills?

Welcome to AA!

I have some of the same rasboras. Some are darker and very orange, some are bigger and lighter with less orange. I think the darker ones are males and the lighter ones are females.

The sores are another problem. Can you tell us a little more about your tank?

- Water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate levels
- How big is the tank?
- Equipment (filter, heater, etc.)
- Maintenance schedule

Knowing this can help us diagnose the source of the problem. In the meantime, look into Melafix and Pimafix as medication. Those plus clean water are the best cures for your fish.

Sadly the Rasbora passed away during the night. I treated the water before bed but was obviously too late. I knew he didn't look right.

I tested my water again today, ammonia and nitrite are at 0 but the Nitrate is through the roof! Have no idea why! Going to do another partial water change tonight (25%) and check the levels again Sunday/Monday.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom