Pop eye or film over the eye`

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a blenny in QT from the LFS and he has come down with either pop eye or there is a film over one of them. Eats fine and swims around. What can I do to treat this? I think the water parameters got out of whack as I have been sick for 3 weeks. Tell me what meds I need
Thanks

Mel
To late. The fish developed film over both eyes, developed heavy breathing and died that same day. The 6 line wrasse is still in the QT tank and is doing well. However, Im 6 weeks into the QT for these 2 (now 1) fish and dont know what to do with the 6 line. He is acting fine and eating. Do I treat him? I for sure dont want to put him in the main tank after 8 weeks - being the blenny was in there with him. I need to know what to do.
I will say Im a little disappointed in this area of the website. Seems responses come very quickly for the general questions but days for responses on the sick forums. Makes you want to post everything in the other forum and make the moderator move it each time. Frustrating...

No you need to post it in the proper forum. If you have to keep moving it then it makes for a untidy website. Usually I`m on everyday but got tied up this weekend. I`ll post your comments on the staff forum. I`m sorry for your loss. As far as the wrasse I would not treat unless you know what to treat for. IMO I would observe for another week and then if no problem you can add to the main.

I dont expect you to be the one to answer all of the posts on here - thats not fair. Just seems there are very few people on here that respond to certain sections. Also I didnt want to direct my frustration at you per say either..just frustrating for sure.
Anyway, the problem in just observing the wrasse is for sure there is a bacterial infestation in the water as the blenny died of something. So why not treat the water the wrasse is in?
Also I thought about adding 2-3 more small fish and just start the QT process all over. I do NOT feel comfortable adding the wrasse at all for another 6+ weeks if that. I have worked to hard to add a wrasse to a disease free tank and take a chance in my mind.
What are the chances of the blenny just being sick and the other fish not being exposed to it?
Last question - Pimafix and Melafix - are these good products?

I have heard others say melafix is good. The pimafix is for fungal problems I think. I dont know about the bacterial infestation in the tank but if you thought that then do PWC`s to get to pristine conditions. I`m just not a big fan of treating anything unless I know what the problem is. The wrong treatment can stress as well as kill. The blenny could have already been sick.
Also as far as people posting if you go to this forum`s front page you`ll see plenty of people post on this forum. There is one with 25 post on it. I`m sorry you did not get the help you need but it looks like several are posting in this forum. I hope all goes well with your tank.

What would be the harm in using Melafix to the QT tank..isnt it all natural? Again Im trying to resolve in my mind what I need to do - so please dont take this as arguing.
So if its bacterial, how would water changes help? I took the ammonia and trates levels the other day and both were 0. So the water is fine. I do agree that i think the blenny was just sick and it took this long to come to the front. Then again I have had 2 other blennies die and for no reason...Im done with blennies.
Also I assume it would be ok to add some new fish to my QT tank since in my mind I am going to start the QT time all over...

If you are convinced something is wrong with the water then I would not add any fish. I personally dont believe there is any thing wrong with the water. PWC`s will make water conditions pristine so as to keep stress down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom