Pop Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJurgelewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Rainbow Shark with Pop Eye. I already did a partial water change last night and am doing another partial water change today after work. However, On my way home from work I pass a pet store and would like to stop and buy any medications I need.

I unfortunately do not have a quarantine tank, this is my only tank.

What is the recommended treatment for this?

What are your exact water parameters? Is it one eye or both eyes? Only one eye indicates a possible injury. Both eyes can indicate a possible isssue with the water or an internal issue (parasite, virus or infection).

Parameters:
pH 6.0
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 20

Its only 1 eye, do these types of injuries heal? How long do they take to heal?

Is your ph normally at this level or has it dropped? I would do another 50% water change to reduce your amm level further & consider adding a low dose of aquarium salt (1tbsp per 10g). Make sure you pre-mix the aq salt in some tank water & add gradually over the course of 24-48hrs. Healthy water should be all your fish needs to heal but keep a close watch on the your fish for any new symptoms or signs that the eye's condition is not improving/getting worse.

Yes it is normally that low. I had a thread going about a month ago about what to do and I never got a definite answer. I did a water change and began adding salt. I will keep an eye on the fish.

Is your tap this level as well? You could consider gradually adding some argonite or crushed coral to your filter to try & bring it up a tiny bit & then just do smaller, more frequent water changes to limit the ph fluctuation. Just something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom