Popcorn Brine Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just wanted to share this with everyone as I thought it was a pretty cool way to feed brine shrimp to your fish. I came across it and had to try it and it works wonderfully.

If you have regular eggs, you decapsulate them using water and bleech after you hydrate them. Once decapsulted then they are ready for popping.

Take the eggs and fill a coffee cup about 2/3 full of water. Take up to 1/8 cup of decapsulted eggs, I only do 1 tablespoon at a time, and put them in the water. Microwave them for 2-5 minutes, I use 3 minutes for mine, and voila, popcorn brine shrimp eggs. They volume is actually 2-3x what is was before popping. The eggs stay suspended in the water column and all of my fish will spend 30 minutes finding every single one of them until they are gone. Even my mystery snails love them.

Before:
img_828344_0_8065c8e26f2d27c35aaf47aa78844026.jpg

After:
img_828344_1_a7e683331007abd56a2789c8578e824e.jpg

I've actually seen before that you can microwave the eggs to get them to pop like that but I've never tried it or seen the results of doing such a thing. I wonder if fry will go after that stuff just as readily as live ones.

That is really cool, I am going to see if my Apisto fry will eat it.

What is the water to bleach ratio for decapsulating the eggs? Also what method do you use to rinse them or do you add dechlorinator to the mix?

Back
Top Bottom