possible tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissJay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello! i'm currently in the process of fishless cycling my first aquarium. i am ~one week into the cycle and it's going fine so far (no nitrates yet, but i don't plan on adding fish until it's done(in 1-2 months), don't worry). here are the specs:

30g high (30x12x19")
Hagen Aquaclear 50
black moonsand and play sand (washed)
one heater (75°F)

ph: 7.0

plants: Hornwort, Brazilian Pennywort, Cardinal plants

tumblr_inline_p5ny1jQaLt1roowyz_500.jpg

what i plan on getting:

1 dwarf blue powder gourami
10 harlequin rasboras
6 bronze or panda cory cats
10 ghost shrimp

SO, i have two questions. the first is that i'd like to add another fish/school to this group, since i believe i have the room for it. what do you suggest? i'm open to anything, but i'd rather get fish that don't create a lot of waste or can get too aggressive. i also don't have a lid on my tank so anything that jumps i'd rather avoid.

second, which fish would you recommend i start out with once my tank is fully cycled? i was planning on putting in just 5 rasboras to start, then add the rest incrementally.

thank you for reading! i would love any advice you have to give! :) :thanks:

hello! i'm currently in the process of fishless cycling my first aquarium. i am ~one week into the cycle and it's going fine so far (no nitrates yet, but i don't plan on adding fish until it's done(in 1-2 months), don't worry). here are the specs:

30g high (30x12x19")
Hagen Aquaclear 50
black moonsand and play sand (washed)
one heater (75°F)

ph: 7.0

plants: Hornwort, Brazilian Pennywort, Cardinal plants

tumblr_inline_p5ny1jQaLt1roowyz_500.jpg

what i plan on getting:

1 dwarf blue powder gourami
10 harlequin rasboras
6 bronze or panda cory cats
10 ghost shrimp

SO, i have two questions. the first is that i'd like to add another fish/school to this group, since i believe i have the room for it. what do you suggest? i'm open to anything, but i'd rather get fish that don't create a lot of waste or can get too aggressive. i also don't have a lid on my tank so anything that jumps i'd rather avoid.

second, which fish would you recommend i start out with once my tank is fully cycled? i was planning on putting in just 5 rasboras to start, then add the rest incrementally.

thank you for reading! i would love any advice you have to give! :) :thanks:

I bought a pair of Bolivian Rams about 10 months ago after a 3 month cycle. I started with red fin tetras during cycle. I did the cycle with frequent water changes and it seemed to be successful. All the original tetras made it through the cycle. 50% changes twice a week. My Bolivians are thriving. Their colors are awesome and they greet me every time I come in the room. I do have lots of plants, caves and rocks which they are constantly swimming in and out of. I have had no issues with them with other rams, cories, loaches, tetra and shrimps. I would highly recommend them. Good luck.

Without a lid, you are likely to lose a few Cory cats. Cories occasionally swim up to the surface to gulp air. Sometimes they break water, which might result in a swan dive to the floor.
I suggest getting a lid. If your tank is an odd size, making it difficult to find a lid, make a lid out of plexiglass. Real cheap at Home Depot, or Lowes.

oh! i had no idea cory's could jump like that. there are lots of DIY lids i can make myself, i will be sure to make it before putting anything inside. thank you!

those guys are super cute! do they have nice personalities? if i was getting a tetra school, i like the look of glowlights and lemons, but the runnynoses are nice too. i'll have to see what would match/contrast my rasboras best.

they are beautiful, but i've heard lots of horror stories about those rams randomly dying. aren't they pretty sensitive?

I heard that as well but from the research I did Bolivians can be the hardiest of the rams. I did lose a blue ram and a gold ram over the last year, and I believe the blue rams are the hardest to keep. My Bolivians are over a year old and going strong. I guess it is possible I got lucky. I am very diligent about water changes doing 50-60% every 5 or 6 days. I am slowly working down to once a week because I have found my parameters are good after 6 days. I think it is overkill but I don’t want to mess with success. My LFS had Bolivians for only $5.00 each which made initially choosing them a little easier. It turned out to be even more of a bargain than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom