post your cichlid setup here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my 75Gallon Cichlid tank.
it has been changed a bunch but with most of the same big decor staying.
So many Beautiful Tanks and fish

35049-albums1527-picture36932.jpg

What size tank is this?
How many lbs of rock is in there!?
I would be worried about the bottom glass.

Around 300lbs of rock in a 72B, you would be amazed on how much weight a tempered glass tank will hold. Here is a video of a 10g without water. As long as the weight is distributed evenly there is little to no fear of breaking, unless a direct impact to the glass with with a sharp point I wouldn't worry.

Tempered Glass Aquarium - YouTube

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Around 300lbs of rock in a 72B, you would be amazed on how much weight a tempered glass tank will hold. Here is a video of a 10g without water. As long as the weight is distributed evenly there is little to no fear of breaking, unless a direct impact to the glass with with a sharp point I wouldn't worry.

Wow thanks for the video I would have never imagined!

HUKIT said:

That is very interesting. I'd like to see that same test done on a 55 gallon with a larger surface area, or even with bigger tanks.

show off your tank or tanks

Not discriminating against size on this one........I enjoy seeing all your guys tanks from 10 gallons to 200, they are all amazing!

My 45 with 2 Bolivian rams and 2 red hump eartheaters

ForumRunner_20120702_025310.jpg

My 5 yr old sons 20 tall with a yellow lab a peacock and I'm not sure the blue one

ForumRunner_20120702_025434.jpg

And my wife's 10 with her 3 green tiger barbs which she is in love with

ForumRunner_20120702_025557.jpg

Mixed cichlid corner tank

Attachments

• image-3125258567.jpg
    image-3125258567.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 315
How much was that tank and where do you hide the filtration and where can I buy it?!?!

i got this table from aqua vim. if you google it you'll get their web site. they have a lot of different table aquariums to choose from. my total cost including shipping (they pull up in front of your house with a tractor trailer!) was about $1,000.00. you can save some money if you pick-up yourself (their showroom is in new york) but i didn't have a vehicle that i could get it home with. i figured if i had to rent a truck it would cost me about the same as paying to have it shipped.

if you notice there are 4 posts on the table. 2 of the posts have water in them with 2 power heads. the power heads pull the water through the gravel so the filter is kinda like an under gravel filter but you don't have a plate that clogs up. that's the only filtering i have in this aquarium and i never have any problems with ammonia or nitrates. i'm enclosing a picture of the filtration system. the other 2 columns are water tight and hold all the electrical wires for the lights, power heads and heater. there is only one cord coming from the table. there are 5 toggle switches on the front of the tank. 2 that turn on the lights, 2 that control the power heads and 1 for the heater. the lights are hidden under the cross bars you see on the tank. i have had this tank running for about 2 years now. it's great. i love it. there are 2 disadvantages that i can tell you about. one is that the tank is only 12 inches deep so you really can't keep deep bodied fish like angels, discus etc. the other thing is that you need to use larger gravel so you don't clog the pipes. this means that you can't have a sand substrate or use planting medium in this tank. however i have lots of low light plants in the gravel and they do great. all my plants are live.

36993-albums8518-picture32698.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32697.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32696.jpg

one other thing. it took a long time (about 6 weeks )for this tank to cycle. because of all the gravel surface (the tank is about 56" long and 23 inches wide) i now have an abundance of bb and i never have a problem with ammonia. well that's been my experience with this tank and i really love it. google aqua vim and see what they have to offer.:flowers:

Andrew McFadden said:
After all this time I have never looked at this thread. There are some stunning photos here. So ill add a couple to it

Wow......you and convict are running a close race for who has the bet African setup. nice job guys!

Back
Top Bottom