Postmortem, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I had a happy, healthy betta for over a year--until two days ago. He was building a bubble next, and was active. But then I noticed that he seemed bloated, despite the fact that he only gets 4 pellets daily. Yesterday morning, he became lethargic, and I determined to do a water change a day early. But by evening he was swimming around perfectly normally. This morning when we woke up he was dead.

Two questions--what is this bloating? And, I have two ottos in the tank, looking ok. Is the tank contaminated? If so, what should I do about it before getting another fish?

Details: 10 gallon tank, two small filters, ca 79 degrees, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ca. 5, weekly 50% water change and vacuuming.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 45
Bloating in association with sudden death, possibly an intestinal bacteria infection. Might be a good idea to make a 50% WC, w/ gravel vac.
Just keep a watchful eye on the tankmates. Optional; consider adding a tank antiseptic med, like Melafix. Don't panic.

Back
Top Bottom