Potential Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloodymary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry as I have not introduced myself yet, but I'm trying to identify a predicament I am in. I have started a relatively new neocaridina tank. I'm a long time aquarist but I don't claim to have extensive knowledge especially when it comes to major problems. So anyway I attached a pic of what I just found in my tank!!!!! I cannot find anything that looks similar and so I'm asking for help. Almost all my shrimpies have died and the tank has already been cycled, water quality is normal. Pristine even bc I barely have anything in the tank except what 2 shrimp now and 2 ember tetras in I think 6 gallons? My best guess is a parasite bc this doesn't exactly look like a copepod. I'M SO SAD!!! please help?

Sincerely
Sad Shrimpy Situation

Attachments

• 20221031_215256.jpg
    20221031_215256.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is the thing in the picture in the water of your aquarium?
Can you post some more pictures and a video of it?

It looks like someone has grafted an insect onto a fish's head.

It's definitely insect though because it has 6 legs. Get some pictures and video of the beastie and then remove it and step on it.

Looks to me like some kind of dragonfly/damsel fly. They lay eggs on aquarium plants and the larvae eat shrimp and small fish. The best thing IMO is to pick out as many as possible.

Sorry to hear about your shrimp... Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom