power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbagg2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 75 gal and have the sand and mixed water in it. After setting just the water and sand up it got extremely cloudy and i knew this would happen and that it would settle, and it did. So after it had settled and the water was nice and clear i recieved my power heads, 3 maxi-jet 1200's. So i setup the Phs 1 in each front coner aimed up and towards the back middle of the tank and one on the right back aimed across the back of the tank, next thing i know the water is just as cloudy as when i added the water to the sand. Is this normal? i figured it would settle but havent noticed much change since yesterday and was planning to get my LR soon. :(

okay well thank you for the advice and i'll just have put the LR in, cycle the tank and what not then re-arrange the LR after the water clears up. :|

If you have very fine sand like oolitic or aragonite, it will be cloudy for the first few days. After the sand has settled it wont kick up as bad again. During that time leave your powerheads off and just let it calm down.

If you have a filter running like a sump or wet/dry youc ould put some filter floss in the waters path to help filter out the sand particles.

I had one of the same problems. I had my tank set up and the filter running but no salt in the water and i had let the system run for about 3 days and the dust had still not settled out of the water. i added the salt and the skimmer when to work and made the bubbles get to the collection cup. the water had cleared up in about 3 hours. (before when i had no salt in the water the skimmer did not make bubbles make it in the the cup. i did not change the air intake after i added the salt) hope this helps.

well i had salt in the water and a mixture of sand and cc (mostly CC) in for the substrate, it settled and i had a hob running just for current. The sand settled and the water was clear when i added my phs. They kicked up the sand again. Its now been a day or two and its cleared up a little. I figured it would but was worried since it was clear when the phs went in that they would continue to stir things up and the sand would have a problem settling. But hopefully it will clear up after a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom