Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
someone hit a power pole near my house today...I had a substantial power outage(3-4 hours) .... my backup ran for about an hour then, I was on my own.Luckily, power was restorred in time and everybody seems ok but, heres my question....when it goes out what is my priority? all I had was basically a turkey baster...I tried my best to keep surface agitation and some current below but, what is the priority when power goes out? surface agitation or current below? Any suggestions for future problems??

I would say surface agitation, so your pH doesn't drop too much...

Temp and surface agitation. You want to keep the temperature stable and you need surface agitation for the oxygen exchange. One PH and a heater should be all you need on the backup.

I agree with the heat, but a heater will drain a UPS pretty quickly. I only have my phs hooked up to the UPS. If it is cold out, you can pad the tank with a blankets around the sided, to help keep the tank insulated.

I agree that all you really need is a PH running and aim at the surface. As Scott said a blanket wraped around the tank will help the temps.

Back
Top Bottom