Powerhead GPH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maxi-Jet is a very good brand of PH. I would suggest at least two of the MJ-1200s for your tank. You want to aim for at least 10X turnover per hour and as much as 20X if you have a reef. HTH

tripper

Haha, didn't realize that typing a "0" and an "X" would give me that alien instead of the 10 times and 20 times turnover I was looking to write.

I agree with you getting two maxi-jet 1200's. and aim them toward each other. I would also get two smaller ones (400) to aim toward the top of the tank.

I have two 1200's one on each side of my 75g and two 600's on the back angeled to each side.

I have three Maxi-jet 1200s in my tank on the Red Sea wave timer. Works great.

well today i went to my lfs and i was told that maxi jets are not great because of how much flow they let out and because of their inability to be fully submerged. He told me that 20x the gallonage in my aquarium per hour was a lot of flow and would disrupt my coral. Do you have any suggestions on ph that are fully submergable and have an adjustable flow rate? TIA

Just hit up ebay, i'm getting my powerheads from there and they are less than half price, new as well.

Maxi jets are fully-submersible. I don't think the venturi air injection works when it's too deep, but you don't want to use that anyway. They let out a lot of flow for their size, as long as their intakes don't get clogged with junk. Most importantly, Maxi-jets are known for their reliability - a lot of other brands just don't last. You're correct - they're not adjustable flow - mini-jets are adjustable, I believe, but they don't get as high as say a Maxi 1200.

20x can be too much for some coral species. You can position your PH's and live rock to create the right combinations of light and flow in different spots to best grow different coral, but if you're planning on having lots of species that prefer low-moderate flow, then yes, 20x is too much. Also, even many hi-flow species won't enjoy being right in front of the blast of a big powerhead - more important is lots of turbulent flow hitting them in random directions.

bj5z25 said:
well today i went to my lfs and i was told that maxi jets are not great because of how much flow they let out and because of their inability to be fully submerged. He told me that 20x the gallonage in my aquarium per hour was a lot of flow and would disrupt my coral. Do you have any suggestions on ph that are fully submergable and have an adjustable flow rate? TIA

Your person at the lfs obviously is a greenhorn when it comes to PH's since maxijets are the STANDARD to which all others compare themselves to. They can be fully submerged, and depending on what corals (and what kind of tank) you get 20 x is not too much water flow. Corals that want less water flow can be placed in an area that doesn't have as much water flow. I wouldn't worry about an adjustable flow, get the maxijets... You won't be sorry.

I wouldn't think 20X is too much. Your profile says you have three leathers. Leathers like flow IMO. Some with SPS even have upwards of 40X. I have about 15X in my 90 gal and it could use a little more. Think of it like this. If our tanks had flow like in the shallow reefs, we couldn't keep the water in it.

Stephen

Thank you :D that really helped. Also i have some "Devil's Plague Anemones" growing in my tank which is really bad so im on a quest to eliminate all of them.

Back
Top Bottom