Powerheads, intakes and anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a tunze 6100 that I'm putting into my tank. Right now I seem to have more equipment outside of my tank trying to find its way in than actually working in my tank!

I've heard lots about having to watch anemones around the intake of a power head and while I don't have an anemone right now once my MHs are installed (which of course can't happen until my new canopy is built) it is on my list :).

Anyway, the question is with my tunze do I have to worry about an anemone getting sucked into this thing?! It doesn't have a single tube intake like my mag pumps. It is more like my baffle with slots 1/2 way around the unit for intake in case you're not familiar with them. Do I need to wrap this thing in foam?

Thanks!

Not all anenomes will go on a walk around the tank. If you end up with one that does like to walk around then you would be much more at risk of having it sucked in. Most of the time the issue is when the anenome covers the entire inlet causing a suction effect pulling the anenemoe into the pump.

Back
Top Bottom