Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone here is running a powerhead in a freshwater tank? And if so, if your running a powerhead, is that all you need for airation of the tank?

it could be all you need. what type of filter are you using? as long as the filter or power head is making ripples on the surface it should be fine.

Yeah, ive got a top fin powerhead 550 which is pumping out insane bubbles and making everything move around quite smoothly. The filter is a Top Fin 60 which is also adding to the moving around of the water. They are on seperate sides so everything moves quite nicely.

Also, the water in my tank is kinda clowdy.. i can still see from end to end(its a 55 gallon) but it still is kinda clowdy. I checked all the levels like nitrite, hardness, pH, nitrate, ammonia etc.. and everything is A ok.. so even with the cloudiness could i put fish in there?

the cloudiness is normal for new tanks. i use a small powerhead in my 40g tall to keep the water circulating. kind of a treadmill for fish so they dont get too fat lol. as long as the tank has gone through the full cycle it should be alright to add the fish few at a time.

How long has the tank been setup? Usually you get some cloudy water initially and it will go away on its own. When the bacteria are establishing, the water can cloud.

I use a powerhead in freshwater for more water movement.
How are you cycling the tank?

Haha, yeah, the powerheads are ncie tho. No tubing all of the place and messy stuff. It works pretty nicely too. Its funny tho, like half of the tank is calm water and the other half is sortof flowing. Well about the cycle, its been at least a full week and a half, and during the past two days my nitrate level whent up and then down.. so i think thats good news. But as for everything else.. its all pretty much nuetral. To cycle the tank mainly all of my fake plants and decor was from another fish tank. Also, i put in a bacteria supplement that is supposed to boost the cycle.. but that was about 5 days ago. Everything seems to be running fine right now. Havent had a spike in any of the levels in 2 days.

I also had another question about the powerhead. I have nothing on it, as in.. its just that pointy little thing in the water. No tube or sponge on it. Is it ok to just have it like that?

Back
Top Bottom