Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up my new tank which will be a 4 foot long tank, just short of 90 gallons. Anyone got suggestions for how many and what sort of size power heads I should use?

At the moment just looking into mushrooms maybe a few soft corals but nothing more than that as a start

Are you going with expensive vortechs or just using pumps like koralias? I would probably have three 1500gph or so power heads at least. I would see how that does and go from there.

To be honest I'm open to recommendations on it all. on my last tank I just used a cheap power head from eBay but I want everything right on this tank. Where would you position them then one either end and one in the middle trying to get a circular motion?

Random flow is best, and that can be achieved with a few power heads. It's pretty simple really....Just try to limit the number of dead spots in the tank. Low flow areas are where detritus accumulates. If you can afford it, a vortech or two would be nice. If not, A few koralias or similar will work fine.

I have the jebao wp 40. Which has an else mode and it pushs water in random about durations and waves. Not bad for the price. Youtube has videos. Atleast chexk them out.

edwardclaxton said:
I have the jebao wp 40. Which has an else mode and it pushs water in random about durations and waves. Not bad for the price. Youtube has videos. Atleast chexk them out.

+1. Wp40's (not to be confused with the vortech mp40) are very similar in offerings to the vortechs, and are about 25% of the price. Ive got one on order now and itll be here soon. Also if you want to achieve the random flow and wave-like motions, try to stick with controllable powerheads, they can give a more random and different flow than a standard flow powerhead

Actually, you can achieve random flow without wave makers and controllable power heads. All you need are basic power heads. I believe all that wave making and controlling is just to sell units. You can have a healthy reef tank without them.

Ok well I have ordered myself 2 koralia 1600 for the time being as hopefully this will be enough for cycling the tank?

Back
Top Bottom