Pre-filter sponges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone use a filter sponge over an HOB intake tube? I believe I have seen them referred to as a pre-filter sponge.

I have a aquaclear 50 and didn't know if they made a product specifically for this model.

Does anyone use a filter sponge over an HOB intake tube? I believe I have seen them referred to as a pre-filter sponge.

I have a aquaclear 50 and didn't know if they made a product specifically for this model.

They help keep your actual filter clean by blocking the larger particles from entering your filter. I have used them with good results plus shrimp pick at them

Is there a universal type product? It seems that most HOB intake tubes are of a fairly similar diameter.

You can use women's nylon knee highs or any new sponge. I buy sponges at the dollar store. I get a 6 pack for $1 and cut each one into three pieces. I then take a knife and cut a hole in the middle. Then take a pair of needle nose pliers and widen the hole to fit over the intake tube. Takes about 15 minutes to make a bunch. You can alter the thickness of the sponge this way to slow water intake to slow the outflow.

I use Fluval prefilter sponges. They come in packs of three I think ?
I just rinse and reuse mine.
The genuine fluval pre filter sponge is sold as one unit for about $3. The 3 pack on Amazon is not genuine Fluval but works just as well and is more of a bargain.

I have three of the "genuine" ones but I run one of my four filters filter without one. They work great but can clog up pretty fast. Makes it so service intervals on filters are much longer. They fit perfect on aquaclear or fluval C2 or 3, but are tight fitting on Fluval C4 ..... but they still work.

I have a 36 gal aqueon HOB. I bought a package of porus sponges at Petsmart and put one in the left hand side of the filter unit and it prefilters the water before it gets to the cartridge filter. I did this so when I replace my cartridge filter I will have some bb still in the filter.

I have a 36 gal aqueon HOB. I bought a package of porus sponges at Petsmart and put one in the left hand side of the filter unit and it prefilters the water before it gets to the cartridge filter. I did this so when I replace my cartridge filter I will have some bb still in the filter.

I do this too with all aqueon filters. I buy the Aquaclear sponges and cut them to size

Back
Top Bottom