Pre Fishless Cycling Filter Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beemud

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello

I am currently collecting all the bits and pieces for a fishless cycle, for a 30-gallon tank. I noticed however that the filter I got was different to any filter I've seen... It is a Fluval Aquaclear HOB filter. Where I am confused is the media, instead of a single cartridge it is three separate parts, it contained a foam insert (Mechanical) a bag of activated carbon (Chemical) and a bag of pellets (Biological). I'm worried about having to replace the already unnecessary carbon or biological media and upsetting the bacteria in my filter and force me to replace the loose media due to the bags tearing...

I've included pictures and have opened nothing, so if I need to return this filter in exchange for another one. If anyone has this filter or and knows if it can work or won't be a problem please let me know... otherwise any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1836[1].jpg
    IMG_1836[1].jpg
    252 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1837[1].jpg
    IMG_1837[1].jpg
    260 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1840[1].jpg
    IMG_1840[1].jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1841[1].jpg
    IMG_1841[1].jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is a really good filter because you do not have to replace the sponge or ceramic rings!!!

You can remove the try the grey part, and rinse the sponge and rings in treated/dechlorinated water or the top part of clean pwc water. so the chlorine doesn't kill your BB!!!

You can save the carbon pouch part in case you need it in the future. It stays in the pouch, just rinse in cool water when you want to use it. It stays active for appx. 7-14 days to remove color in the water or medication. Not necessary for every day use.

You can add an additional amount of Biomax rings, or other media such as matrix. Ot Purigen, etc.

I have had the rings and the sponge for more than 7 years in my old ones. Never replaced! So very economical.

That filter is great! You wont have to worry about replacing anything! the bio rings never need replaced, once the tank is established a healthy beneficial bacteria colony will call those rings home, same for the sponge! carbon works well you water clarity and I run some in two of my tanks just because I like crystal clear water. All those components will be fine in that filter as that's how it was designed. Another piece of advice, when cleaning filter media, the best thing to do is just take a 5 gallon bucket, drain some tank water off in it, then take all your filter media out and just give it a good dunk, easiest way to clean your media and just put everything back.

Back
Top Bottom