Prefilter Sponge for Aquaclear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering if anyone knows of a pre-filter sponge that will fit over the intake of an Aquaclear 70 or 110. Any ideas? I bought a Fluval edge sponge that I can kinda force over the intake, but wanted to know if there was something better out there. I couldn't readily find one made for it. :(

I use the Fluval edge sponges or I buy the sponge filters of the appropriate size and take them apart and put the sponge on the end of the intake. Aquatop makes them as do many Chinese off brands that I can't read. Ebay usually has them cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I take filter sponges that you'd use inside, and cut them to a size that'll fit over nice and then cut them round to look nice. And just make a slit inside in the middle so it can slide into the filter. I like them and don't think they look too bad. Thoughts?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449015814.942648.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I take filter sponges that you'd use inside, and cut them to a size that'll fit over nice and then cut them round to look nice. I like them and don't think they look too bad. Thoughts?View attachment 281473

You have way more patience than I do. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You have way more patience than I do. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It actually didn't take that long! Lol I was thinking it would be all jagged and dumb looking, but was tired of my girlfriend losing fish to the filters lol after I made hers I decided to do so again on my small tank

I take filter sponges that you'd use inside, and cut them to a size that'll fit over nice and then cut them round to look nice. And just make a slit inside in the middle so it can slide into the filter. I like them and don't think they look too bad. Thoughts?View attachment 281473

Looks great! Very creative. I did manage to pull the fluval edge sponge onto the intake. I am posting a pic here, but it's kinda hard to see. It's in the back hidden by wood and plants, but if you can see you get the idea. Planted 4.jpg

I have fluval c4 and the prefilter i purchased was an extremely tight fit on the intake pipe. Had to take the whole pipe out to get it off to clean the prefilter. finally just slit it up the side and it works fairly well as there is only a small slit not covered by prefilter. would really like to find ones that really fit.

From what I've heard the filter max 3 will fit an Aquaclear 70/110

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21426

p-71261-51049-fish-supply.jpg

I use the fluval edge filters. At first I was frustrated with this, because when I would remove the filter to clean it a lot of the debris would fall/wash off the filter. I started using a plastic Solo cup and put it around the filter when I removed it. That has made it a lot easier to trap all the debris and remove it. Not sure if others have tried that, or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom