Pregnant AngelFish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pink-o-licious

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello There,
Yes I am quite new on this site.
I have two angelfishes. I know that one is male and one is female. The female one has a large stomach. The stomach part is the part behind the wings? It is buldging out on both sides.
It has been over a week that this fish have had this problem.
I figured its either:
1. Pregnant
2. Sick
I have seperated it from the other fishes; Well I added a divider in the tank. And yes it has been cleaning a certain area for a period of time.
I dont actually have anything in the tank that is on a 30 degree angle. It has been cleaning the corner of its tank.
I'd say the buldging out stomach is roughly 1.5 cm on each side.
My questions are:
1. How long should it take for the babies to be in the mothers stomach?
2. Is it actually pregnant?
3. What should I do to get ready?
4. Any advices on what to do and what is happening.
5. roughly how many babies will there be?:hat::rolleyes:
6. Should I add in rock that is on a 30 degree angle even this late in the progress?
7. Would the parents eat them?

1.5cm sounds like way too much to just be full of eggs. My female's stomach only bulges a bit when she's ready to lay. Is she displaying any other symptoms? Could be bloat

other symptons is;
i see bubbles on to of the water.
ALOT of it.
And I just noticed today;
It has their white small net-like looking thing on the top fin

Welcome to AA! First thing to do is always a water change. Test your parameters before the water change and post the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. What size tank is it and what are the tankmates?

I don't believe that she is holding eggs for laying. You can add some epsom salts to the water to ease if it is bloat. Also you can try feeding some frozen peas in case she is constipated. Nuke the pea for a few seconds and peel the peas. Make into bite size portions and add to the tank.

Your angelfish may have a fungal or bacterial infection but without a picture that is a hard diagnosis to make.

1. How long should it take for the babies to be in the mothers stomach?
2. Is it actually pregnant?
3. What should I do to get ready?
4. Any advices on what to do and what is happening.
5. roughly how many babies will there be?:hat::rolleyes:
6. Should I add in rock that is on a 30 degree angle even this late in the progress?
7. Would the parents eat them?

1. Female angelfish don't get "pregnant"...they lay eggs. If she does lay them and if they are fertilized it should take 48-72 hours to start hatching and become wigglers.

2.,4. Nope, she's not pregnant...probably constipated. Add some epsom salt to the tank and see if she becomes skinnier.

3.,6. You don't have to do anything with them to get ready. If you have a pair in a bare tank, that's all you need. You don't need to do anything or add anything to the tank. They will spawn on the side of the tank more often than not. Just make sure that if you have a heater that is submersible (recommended) that it's placed horizontally rather than vertically. I've heard countless stories of fish spawning on heaters only to have the eggs fried.

5. There will likely be between 100-300 babies with 50-150 surviving. Don't forget that you'll want to cull the smaller/weaker ones so that the others can be healthier.

7. It is likely that the parents will eat the eggs, this is very common. Just hope for the best and if after a few tries the parents don't get it right you can try your hand at artificially rearing them.

Back
Top Bottom