Pregnant Peacock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan1980

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would a pregnant peacock still eat? Or is it after when she's holding the fry that they stop eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

She generally will not eat after the spawning session has occured. This will continue until she releases them. If the eggs or fry are "taken", she'll start eating again. This is not always 100% either. I have seen my own peacocks eat while holding, but its rare, and its hardly enough to qualify it as eating. Just snip at a flake.

So no they dont really eat til they release. Yes theyll eat as soon as they do, or they are stripped. Hopethis helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. So it would make sense that she's still eating because she looks full with eggs at the moment?

Thanks. So it would make sense that she's still eating because she looks full with eggs at the moment?

Yes they can and will still eat but not as aggressively. You do know they keep eggs in their mouths?

Yeah but that's after they've given birth to them,so it would make sense if she's pregnant that she still eating

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No... Hukit is absolutely right. When peacock cichlids spawn, they circle a pit or territory if you will. The male chases her in a circular pattern as she lays eggs and he fertilizes them. Then as they circle, she picks them up in her mouth where they will hatch in 14-17 days later. The reason male peacocks have false eggs is so she'll continue to circle after shes done laying. That way he can keep fertilizing and shell keep grabbing at his false eggs that way sperm can keep getting to the eggd in her mouth. After they hatch, she will continue to hold them another 1-2 weeks. She will at somepoint release them as lul swimmers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also, just a heads up, pregnancy only relates to live birth. Animals that lay eggs become gravid, not pregnant. Live bearers=pregnant, cichlids=gravid.

Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom