Preparing Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found a nice piece of driftwood for my tank but the only problem is it's too big to fit in a pot to boil. So I went this some advice I found online and placed it into a large tub of water with some baking soda mixed in. The source said after a day or two the water will be brown from the tannins in wood, after that you would then drain and repeat until the water is no longer brown. I decided to try this with my piece of driftwood. I first scrubbed the piece of wood extensively and got all excess bark and residue off of it. I have now had it soaking for three days and the water is still crystal clear. The piece is almost waterlogged, It's much heavier and the smaller half of it is already sinking. I'm wondering... it is possible that all the tannins have already been released from the piece of wood by already being underwater? I found it on the banks of a river so it has been submerged at one point. If so, how much longer should I wait if the water keeps staying so clear?

Advice appreciated
Thanks guys

If you haven't gotten tannins by now your probably not going to get any. If it had been submerged in a river already they have likely leeched out. As for baking soda.... I personally wouldn't use it. Baking soda can be used to increase Ph in a tank and don't know how much the wood could absorb and possibly increase you tank Ph. I'd finish soaking it in reg water and you could put it in your tub and keep dumping boiled water over it and finish letting it soak. The boiling water will kill just about everything.

Back
Top Bottom