Prepping plants for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
I have an empty tank waiting to be filled and I want to try some live plants this time.
I'm planning on trying to make a java moss carpet. I know it will be unruly and that's what I want. I bought some java moss already but I'm wondering how to "prep" it for the tank. I have it in a huge vase sitting in the window for now hoping it will grow a bit. I've also noticed some snails.
I've read a little about prepping plants with alum, bleach, and peroxide. The guy at the lfs said to let it dry out a little to get rid of the snails, but I have a penchant for killing plants so I'm not so sure about that. If I can't get alum, what's my best bet for preventing introduction of undesired creatures into my tanks? Thanks!

Do you like small loaches? You could house some botia loaches. Also, snails aren't bad as long as you keep them under control.

The tank will be too small for loaches I think. I've never kept them before but I believe they should be kept in groups and get pretty sizeable? The tank is a 35 gallon hex so not a ton of space on the bottom

This is an interesting subject. One thing I started doing recently on my plant orders is adding a small packet of potassium permanganate for people to pretreat their plants if they choose to do so.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I used to have a pond snail infestation in my tank, i think around 200 snails and more coming everyday... But 3 assassin snails did the cleanup for me in under a month, these guys are killing machines! Now they just eat dead plant material and anything that's left on the bottom. Lovely animals

Sent per three-eyed raven...

I agree with F Sam.

Your smaller floor space would better suit the assassin snails, plus they really are great snails.

Back
Top Bottom