Pretty sure my othe DG is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guess I should have listened to people and not got any dwarf gouramis. He is hanging out at the surface floating on his side every once in awhile. I have had my hand in the tank all day moving plants and messin with the filter. Maybe that stressed him out plus I added 5 corys today... Maybe thats why?

Params are normal.

0 amm
0 nitrite
10 nitrate

Awww! Sorry to hear it! Have you tried feeding him peas? I don't remember.
Like I said, I started with 4 DG's but now only have 2 left. You might have just gotten some bad ones though. I am not sure if you playing in the tank did anything. Have you tested the water since you moved stuff? I have heard that sometimes if you move things around, you can cause a spike.

ya i just tested it for those params i listed. havent tried the peas. He is barely staying upright.

LOL sorry, I am really tired, I should have seen that.
I would try some peas maybe. You could try hand feeding him some frozen/freeze dried BW's too.
I put the bw in the tank between my fingers and hold really still. If the other fish come up to eat it, I don't let them take it.
I wish you luck!

Hey i have a DG otherwise known as Paradise Fish i believe??
Well,
My fish was like that for a while,
Exept this ws at the bottom of the tank. She was kind floating around on her side and then she would swim and then have a spurt forward,
Try removing the fish and putting it in a still container and then just slowly swirl the water round alittle bit, this helped me.

Could you post images?
Alternatively if you think she/he is dying the do as i say but add an Alka Selzer by its gills - this is how we helped out platy die when she was in pain :)

Good Luck Though,
Please post pictures if you can x

I would definitely transfer the fish in a QT, add a little bit of salt and put an air stone in there.

Do you have good surface agitation going on in the tank? also its possible that this little guy got ICK in the gills. Does your DG usually sleep on the bottom?

I've had problem keeping kissing gouramis alive in one of my tanks. They would always last a few weeks and would die sudden death without any symptoms. My water was always perfect, but this tank had ICK outbreaks before and maybe all my fish in that tank became resistant to ICK and these new kissing gouramis got attacked by it? I just stopped buying these kissing gouramis and bought a DG and put it in another tank. It's been doing good thus far.

Well Woke up this morning and it was stuck to the filter intake. I kinda expected that but then I noticed one of my black neons was dead on a rock!!! What the heck! I didnt look at the dead fish that close. I guess I should have. The other fish all seem fine and happy. The other 4 neons do seem to have really small white dots on them... What could that be?

Yes the emporer 280 moves the water pretty well in my tank.

The only thing I could think of (besides disease) is the tank was used and when I got it the canopy had white and black mold on it from sitting in the rain. I tried to get it off the best I could but its coming back. I plan on removing the canopy and adding a fixture so I can run a open top. The filter in the top has white hair looking mold that I keep cleaning off and it comes back. Could this hurt the fish?

EDIT: AWESOME! (sarcasam) A quick google search showed me it is ich.

OK so now what.

Raise your temp. to 85-86 degrees slowly over a few hours. Do a 50% water change and clean out the gravel as best as you can. If all the fish in the tank can tolerate salt...add some aquarium salt(I think 1 or 2 tbls per 5 gallons?). Leave the temp @ 86 for about 10-12 days.

yea sometimes the ICH doesn't show on the skin and goes straight for the gills...sometimes the fish never even flash against the gravel/plants to show symptoms of ICH...it sucks when that happens =/

Back
Top Bottom