Pricing 'N' class Japan Blue Endlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have Japan Blue Endlers that do what Endlers do and either need to rehome, trade or sell some. I can find nothing online that seems consistent as far as ballpark pricing goes. Anyone on ideas with fair pricing? Seems to be a rare fish on the internet, but then, it is the internet.

they look the same hard to tell from picture. I don't have the papers, I would have to ask the guy I got them from for those. His were wild caught and I ended up with a female fry when I bought some Cardinals from him. I added one of his males about 6 months later and have to thin them out now. If I can't get papers how do they classify them, pure without papers? He has no other endless and these are the only kind I have

N Class - Documentation of where they were collected in Venezuela.

P Class - Appears to be pure strain, as not being mixed with other types, but does not have documentation.

K Class - Hybrid where there is a mix between Endler strains

I really need to put things straight here . Japan blue endlers can never be N-class endlers. The japan blue endlers are hybrids to start with. Adrian Hernandez created the japan blue endler hybrid. He derived it from a cross of the japan blue wildtype guppy from japanese waters. For the original japan blue is a wildtype (a strain that was evolved through feral wildguppies) guppy. So, not an endler!

So, if you have to classify a japan blue endler, it's definitely K-class and by far not an N-class.
There's also a blue wildguppy from French Guiana called Lac du Rorota (named after a reservoir in French Guiana). This guppy does look quite similar to the japan blue but has a more stretched bodyshape in comparison to the japan blue guppy.

I assume that the one you've got them from didn't know what kind of classification this species was or it could be that the truth wasn't told to you.

But if they were wildcaught somewhere else, they are not endemic overthere and probably released overthere. Japan blue endlers are not endemic to Venezuela where endlers come from.

The japan blue hybrids are quite common to be honest in the commercial trade. Overhere in Holland they do cost the same as a regular commercial guppy.

But as a huge guppy and endler enthusisast, I do have to say that the japan blues are still one of my favorite fish... :)

thanks to all who have given input. My friend who brings the fish in locally, gets all his fish from an International importer. He told me these are pure strain japan blue endlers, that is all I know. He has a facebook page where he listed his Odd and Unusual Freshwater fish. He has been in the hobby for 40 or so years. learn a lot from him.

Hi,

I just took a peek at his facebook page.
It seems that he does importing by ordering at Glaser wholesales. This is a german wholesaler and I do know them.

In this case "pure" means as a hybrid strain it's breeding true. Don't mix it up with the note "pure" endler. For that are N-class endlers. But by all means, the japan blue endler is a hybrid strain (man made and not a natural hybrid).

I myself am a a huge livebearer enthusiast myself. And I've been keeping fish ever since the 1970's with a specific focus on livebearers. I'm still active and I do have a preference for rare livebearers all these years as well. Currently there are 80 breeding tanks running actively with mainly livebearers. I'm running my own website regarding livebearers (but it's in need for some updating which I hopefully will update soon). It's an informative one and not a commercial one (so, no sales from that website). And it presents me as being a true passionate aquarist. And I do write relevant articles for our national magazine of livebearers (Poecilia news) and regularly I do publish my articles also in the german livebearer magazine "Viviparos". And last year also in the french livebearer magazine "Le vivipare". And I do participate relevant vivaristic events.

Overhere the link to my own website: Homepage.

EmeraldKing - LOL so many words meaning similar but different things- Pure! Thank for chiming in and setting the record straight! Your tenure in fish caring is wonderful, and great sharing on the web page link (y)

These fish are a beautiful creation either way. And it is also nice to know they breed true and are sought after.

Kabalaz where are you located? Myself or someone else might be interested in getting some for their tank!

EmeraldKing - LOL so many words meaning similar but different things- Pure! Thank for chiming in and setting the record straight! Your tenure in fish caring is wonderful, and great sharing on the web page link (y)

These fish are a beautiful creation either way. And it is also nice to know they breed true and are sought after.

Kabalaz where are you located? Myself or someone else might be interested in getting some for their tank!
I'm in Canada so be tough to get some to you lol otherwise

And the importer he gets his stuff from is based in Calgary, Alberta, but he is the one who brings in the fish for him and his Sera products and other stuff from germany. The one thing I noticed different about my endlers that differ from some pictures is the dorsal fin is quite long and orange and black spotted like a leopard. Most of the time you don't see it unless he is trying to impress the lady and then he raises it like a sail. Quite interesting to watch. Been trying to get a picture but they are so busy hard to. trying to get a video and then a frame capture, but even that is hard. Most pictures don't do them justice anyway as the blue is quite neon like a Cardinal, but lighter. My last batch of fry came out with a bunch of males where first batch was mostly females. I want to set up another tank to separate the females out though as now my males have outnumbered the females.

The one thing I noticed different about my endlers that differ from some pictures is the dorsal fin is quite long and orange and black spotted like a leopard. Most of the time you don't see it unless he is trying to impress the lady and then he raises it like a sail. Quite interesting to watch. Been trying to get a picture but they are so busy hard to. trying to get a video and then a frame capture, but even that is hard. Most pictures don't do them justice anyway as the blue is quite neon like a Cardinal, but lighter.
With japan blues the dorsals of the males may differ in length and in coloration or pattern. And yes, it's more attractive when a male starts to court the female. He'll be flaring his dorsal and caudal. Really interesting to watch.

DSCF4735.JPG

That´s a well filled tank...
Great looking botias... (y)
His biggest Clown Loaches he estimates to be 26 years old. Got them right before his daughter was born, its how he keeps track. Tank is 11' long. He just recently moved all the bigger fish out of it and is currently filling it with plants and lots of nano fish.

Back
Top Bottom