Prime for fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sum22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting my fishless cycle. Did anyone use prime to dechlorinate?

I noticed the bottle says it converts ammonia into a non-toxic form. If that is the case, I'm thinking I should switch to a different dechlorinator, unless anyone can attest to using prime with success.

As far as I understand, Prime locks up the ammonia to make it not as toxic to the fish, but the bacteria still consume the locked up ammonia and convert it. For example, my tests will read the same ammonia levels in my water before and after adding the prime, but I wait 12 hours and poof, the bacteria has done it's work and I'm at zero again.

While you are fishless cycling, though, you shouldn't be changing the water. Just fill up your tank, after 24 odd hours all the chlorine will dissapate into the air (stale water--water that's been sitting out in the open for more than about 24-48 hours will naturally dechlorinate), and you can start waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and getting frustrated, and oh sorry, I was flashbacking. If you are using some established media though or some bacteria in a bottle, Prime use would be initially needed.

I recommend using prime at all times. THe chlorine in the water can kill the bacteria. Like Saff said, during your cycle theres no need to change the water, just do large water change(s) once the cycle is done.

I haven't changed the water. I was doing some reading and I came across a page that suggested the cycle might have been stalled due to using a water treatment that made the ammonia non-toxic.

Most water treatments just convert ammonia into an ammonia that is not toxic to fish, so the bacteria can still feed off it and convert to nitrites

Back
Top Bottom