Probably a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got my 36G cycled. It has a full hood on it but the previous owner let it sit outside so it accumulated mold on the underside of the lid... SO I cleaned it off the best I could when I set it up. Well today I lifted it and it stinks like mold and its back on the light cover and underside of the lid. The water has a film on it looks like. I am not sure what I should do. Is it safe for fish? It has driftwood in it too could that be the film?

Pics would be gratefully appreciated to have a better understanding of the problem.I think that it could be a problem what does the film look like?

You will probably need a new hood and light fixture.

Are you sure it's mold? Mold should clean up from plastic and glass fairly easily. It might be mineral deposits, which can be cleaned with full-strength vinegar.

If the film on the water is oily, it can come from a lot of things, even your skin. If it's not oily, it may have come from the driftwood or the substrate. In either case, a PWC will usually take care of the film.

I wouldn't put any fish in the tank until you're sure of what you're dealing with. Worst case, bite the bullet and replace the hood.

Well I have a fixture that will fit the tank and I will probably just use it I guess to get rid of the mold issue. Yes I am sure its mold lol. The film is pretty clear.

The film on your water is most likely biofilm, that is normal, it is more noticable while your tank is cycling. An earthy smell is not uncommon for tanks.

Clean the hood with a bleach solution, then rinse it really well and that will take care of any mold or mildew spores that are still there.

i had one of those one piece lids from walmart on one of my 10g's and it did the same thing... the moisture cant escape, so condensation builds up under the lid, then creates mold... i say ditch the thing and run hoodless... i have nothing over any of my tanks except my mbuna tank since theyre jumpers

Back
Top Bottom