Problem sticking its head out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all.

Ok so last night did water changes until 02:00am. That is what any fish parent will do!

My ammonia was sky high, and thank goodness for this forum!! Thank you everybody, you know who you are.

ANYWAY... Discovered what I possibly believe to be velvet!!!!

So fish were flashing from about 2 days ago, could be longer.. I don't know work until late at night(do lot put light on). But anyway, due to wc after wc last night and working with flashlight. OMW.. Cory's covered in goldish color from gills towards back. One has it on his back as well. I saw them flashing the previous day. And I know I saw some of my guppys flashing as well.

What can I do te grading treatment, keeping in mind that I have cories, khuli loaches, guppys and cardinals in tank.

Also just a reminder did allot of 50% wc last night. Will have to test again when I get off work now.

All advise greatly appreciatedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390485456.658188.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390485503.740013.jpg

Pictures aren't great, hope it helps.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390485562.573233.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390485562.573233.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 79
It's hard to tell from the photos. Does it look like a sheen on the actual "skin" or does it look like a dusting? If it's gold dust, then it could be velvet, but it's best to try to be sure before you treat. Are all fish affected or just the Corys?

I have treated velvet successfully in the past and I did have Corys, all ended up fine, but it's a bit of a process. Coppersafe is the recommended med but if you have snails or any other inverts you can't use it. I had Corys when I treated so I couldn't use Coppersafe either.

Here's what I did:

1) Do a large (70-80%) water change with gravel/sand vac. Refill with dechlorinated water.

2) Get some Maracide, PetSmart should carry it. It comes in small bottles though so you might need a few bottles at least to get through treatment (I have a 40 gal and went through 3-4 bottles in a week). Remove any snails and/or shrimp you have; put them in a separate small tank if you can with a heater and an air stone.

Dose as it says on the bottle (2 caps per ten gallons on days 1, 3 and 5).
3) Slowly raise the heat to 83 over a couple of days. This will quicken the life cycle. If you have an air stone, turn it up. The higher temps will cause less oxygen in the water for the fish.
4) Cover the tank with blankets or black garbage bags so light does not get into the tank. Do not turn on the tank light and cover the tank to prevent ambient light coming in. Velvet needs light to multiply.

You can turn on the lights for a few minutes each day just to feed and check for dead fish (remove any dead fish ASAP) but that's it.

On day 6, do another large water change and vacuum the substrate thoroughly and start the process again. Do this for at least 2 weeks. Hopefully the treatment will work. You can use other meds in conjunction, like Maracyn, but meds like that often will affect your good bacteria in the tank so don't add anything else unless you really need to.

I did this treatment for two weeks and cured my fish. Good luck!

Thank you librarygirl!! Thank you so much for the advise.

Well it could be more of a shine...

I have never seen velvet, so not sure how look for differences.
Most fish are rubbing against gravel "flashing". Not very often though. But often enough for me to take notice.

Cory's are the only fish currently having this shine green gold color on the front part of their body. One also seems to have a bit on the top of his back.

No visible signs on the other fish.

Fish in the tank:
Guppys
Cardinals
Khuli loaches
Cory catfish julli

What else could possibly going on?

Back
Top Bottom