Problem with feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 8 goldfish and a pleco that I purchased to take care of an algae problem I was having. The pleco took care of the algae, and I just started trying to feed him algae bottom feeder disks. My problem is, my stupid goldfish get to the disk first and cause this feeding frenzy!

I tried putting the disks in his little cave, but the three smallest goldfish can easily fit and eat it! I am currently looking for decor and a piece of driftwood that will make a better, more private cave for my pleco to hide out and maybe eat without getting harassed. I was also thinking about getting a divider so I can separate the goldies during feeding time. (I am also looking for GOOD homes for a few of my goldies. I'm overstocked as they are in a 20 gallon. Anyone near Mojave, California looking for goldfish?)

I don't think he is starving, as he is active, doesn't have a sunken belly, and eats leftover fish flakes/peas in the gravel, but he is the fish I care for and want to invest in most.

My boyfriend suggested fishing the pleco out of the tank and putting him in a separate container during feeding so he'll get his fair share, but I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do. Wont it take him a long time to eat/suck the disk? I'd hate to have to put him in his own container for an hour or two everyday. I also wonder if moving him would cause stress that would make him uninterested in food? And honestly, fishing him out of the tank is a lot easier said than done.

If it came down to it, I would rather go through the trouble of moving the 8 goldfish everyday because they seem to take to being netted and transferred much better than the pleco. I'm not sure what I can to do ensure he's eating well. Any advice would be so helpful and appreciated. Thank you!

What I would do is turn the lights off in the tank and then feed the pleco... Goldfish are USUALLY less active when its dark, whereas the plecos are usually more active.

I have never seen my pleco eat, but I have DW in my tank for him to Munch on. Netting and moving him daily would stress him out badly. Please take into consideration how large common plecos get.

Slice a cucumber in half length ways and rubber band it to a rock or something your pleco will love it mine does and I doubt the goldfish will want it and I wouldn't worry to much if he's acting healthy he prob is

butterfly_koi said:
I have never seen my pleco eat, but I have DW in my tank for him to Munch on. Netting and moving him daily would stress him out badly. Please take into consideration how large common plecos get.

I second this I def wouldn't net him out daily I'm sure that would eventually kill him

Feeding him at night is a great idea! I will try that for sure and see how it goes.

I am aware that common plecos can grow to be around 2 feet when given the proper space and care, and that's exactly what I am hoping for. I am getting a bigger tank within the next month and it will be set up with him in mind. Thank goodness you can get large aquariums for cheap at yard sales and the like!!

Petco has the dollar-a-gallon sale going on so this might be a good time to purchase the larger tank.

As others have said, feed after lights out, but wait an hour or so before dropping the disks. They also love zucchini.

David

I found a nice family owned fish/reptile pet store in town yesterday and purchased some driftwood as well as put in an order for a new aquarium. The owner was super friendly and we talked for a good 20 minutes. I think he might keep fish as a hobby too, so I feel great about finding a convenient, well maintained lfs.

I dropped the algae disc last night a few hours after the light was turned off, but I could hear the goldfish pigging out on it soon after. Will try some zucchini today. Thanks all. :)

Yeah like someone suggested feed at night. Also for that amount of goldfish you need at least 90 gallons . 20 for the first goody and an additional ten for each one after that.

Back
Top Bottom