Project fun - equip a 20L or 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
My bestie, after admiring my tanks for a long while, is ready to set up a tank in her kid's room. She trusts me on this topic obviously and has tasked me with picking out her equipment. I can do it myself of course but I know there are others out there who find this fun so I may as well also solicit other opinions!

Tank: It will either be a 20L or 29. So 30L x 12W, only depth measurement might vary.
Priorities: Ease of maintenance. She is new, even though she has my guidance, so it can't be too fiddly for her.
Future plans: She might be interested in keeping live plants in the future, but they would need to be low maintenance. With that in mind, we need to pick a light that would support low-medium plants.

My task is to put together a couple of different equipment scenarios and then explain the pros and cons to her.

The tank

20L or 29 with a glass top. There will be no hood.

Filters

Considerations so far are:
* Eheim 2213 (for 20L), 2215 (for 29). My kid's has this filter and I like it; it doesn't leak and it is very low maintenance. But I'm not sure she has room for a canister. I also find the flow on the 2213 to be pretty measly when the canister is on the floor next to my kid's dresser.
* Marina Slim S20 x2. I have been really into this filter lately and have two of them on two different tanks. I like that it is a NO PRIMING filter after a water change, which means lower maintenance. It is also DEAD SILENT. On the downside the largest they make is the S20 which is not enough for either a 20 or 29, so she would need two along the back.
* Fluval C3. We know this is a solidly built filter. But it has to be primed after a water change. She would only need one for the whole tank, but on a 30" long tank, she would then probably need a powerhead in there somewhere too or the flow would be anemic.

What other filter suggestions would you consider?

Lighting

My kid's tank has a Current USA LED+ (not the pro) and I think this is a pretty solid light for a non-planted tank which could become planted with low-medium plants. This is really my only suggestion so far. what else might you suggest?

What else? Heaters, a powerhead is stuff I can pick out, but the filter and the lighting are really the big pieces.

The current USA would be a good choice for a light assuming she's happy with a lowish light planted tank. Some of the finnex line of lights would be decent too, again depending on what she wants with them.

I would also go with a 29g over the 20g. I'm just not a fan of the dimensions of the 20g tanks.

As for filter - How about this?
Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters

That should offer more than enough flow for a 29g tank and are simple to clean. I would go for the one for a 50g tank.

Yeah now that the Fluval and AC filters are made by the same company I would consider them pretty much interchangeable. They have the same motor and the same inherent drawback (priming required). I've read that the C series has improved design over aquaclear which is why I would go with the Fluval Cx if picking between the two, but they would both do the same thing really.

Lighting wise I was curious on the drawbacks of the new 24/7 Planted+ if she never gets plants. I think the whole built-in cycle would be appealing to her and the moon lights would be a good night light for her kid. It might be just plain overkill though, I don't know.

I would go for the 29G too, personally.

On my ac filters I just remove the uptake tube before draining the tank. This stops the tube from draining the filter box. Then just snap it back in place when filling. No priming needed when doing it this way.

On my ac filters I just remove the uptake tube before draining the tank. This stops the tube from draining the filter box. Then just snap it back in place when filling. No priming needed when doing it this way.
I have an Aquaclear and if I so much as nudge the intake tube, the pump won't turn on at all, and I have to disassemble the entire thing, clean out the pump and put it back together (sometimes twice). and it has a prefilter sponge so the impeller doesn't get that dirty. I think mine is just defective though. I'm trying not to hold it against it, which is why I included C3 or AC on the list :D This is good to know, thanks! I just wouldn't be able to try it out on mine first because I can't touch the intake tube and have it start again. But I'll use that to consider that the AC can be less priming (and presumably the C3)

I have an Aquaclear and if I so much as nudge the intake tube, the pump won't turn on at all, and I have to disassemble the entire thing, clean out the pump and put it back together (sometimes twice). and it has a prefilter sponge so the impeller doesn't get that dirty. I think mine is just defective though. I'm trying not to hold it against it, which is why I included C3 or AC on the list :D This is good to know, thanks! I just wouldn't be able to try it out on mine first because I can't touch the intake tube and have it start again. But I'll use that to consider that the AC can be less priming (and presumably the C3)

The only time I have this problem is when there is sand or slime in the motor housing.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My ac doesnt even have to be primed. I just have to turn it on and let it go to work.

I love my aquaclear's. All filters will require a Lil maintenance. But they are solid filters, very easy to maintain. Very easy to troubleshoot. Good quality.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think mine is stupid. I take it all apart and clean it with a q-tip. It's not slimy or anything. I gave up using it. BUT I recognize mine seems to be an outlier, hence still considering it or its cousin the C3 for my friend :)

Brandon I'm curious you how don't have to prime. All the water would run out of mine at WC and I had to pour water in the back.

OK I have never used a HOB on any larger than a 10. You guys think that a single Fluval C3 or AC 50 is going to have enough circulation in a 20L or 29G?

Indeed I do. I use it on both those sizes myself.

I think mine is stupid. I take it all apart and clean it with a q-tip. It's not slimy or anything. I gave up using it. BUT I recognize mine seems to be an outlier, hence still considering it or its cousin the C3 for my friend :)

Brandon I'm curious you how don't have to prime. All the water would run out of mine at WC and I had to pour water in the back.

If the intake tube is submerged fully in the water, then no priming is required. Which means you need to have the water almost to the brim. I noticed that accidentally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sponge filter in the corner for extra biofiltration! I like Fluval filters so I would say go for the C3.

As for lighting I'm still incredibly please with my finnex stingray. LEDs are probably the way to go if she wants potential for plants and low-maintenance; if she gets a quality LED she can get live plants down the road and not have to worry about changing bulbs.

Working on lighting now. Is it just me or does Finnex have too many option now? It's a bit overwhelming.

Anyway I made a chart with the LEDs included on the various Finnex fixtures and Current in order to order them by likely PAR (I'm lazy and didn't really look up PAR data on these).

Remember that my friend probably won't have any live plants to start except maybe some floaters like water lettuce, but she wants a light that might allow for plants later. So we have to think of a light that will support medium light plants later, without being TOO much light if there are none.

Also keep in mine she hasn't decided on the 20L or 29G yet, so there could be a 6" height difference, so I need a recommendation at either height.

I won't really consider recommending anything but LED.

Finnex StingRay - if she knew she never wanted plants I might recommend this inexpensive strip; at just over $50 it has 32 daylight/8 red/8 blue. I think with a 20L this fixture might still be ok, but the possibility exists that she might need to add an additional strip later if she adds plants. I think on a 29G this is too weak because of depth, what do you think? But if her budget is stretched it would be a solid choice to start the aquarium sans plants. And she could always add a second fixture later.

Finnex FugeRay/FugeRay Planted+. Mostly I am confused why they don't eliminate the original FugeRay from the product line. Anyway, on Amazon the original FugeRay costs more while having fewer lights overall (barely more white but no red). So I would say the FugeRay Planted+. This would be a solid medium light for her later if she adds plants on either the 20L or 29G. But would it be just too much on a tank with no plants at all?

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 - this light is obviously the badass entry these days. It has 56 daylight LEDs and 28 RGB, so less than either FugeRay model. The 24/7 gimmick is pretty convenient because she can set and forget. Too much on a tank with no plants? The more obvious drawback is, who knows when she can get them, since they are so backordered.

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus (not Pro) - This light has 48 daytime LEDs and 24 RGB. I like that the light intensity can be changed by remote, so she can run it at lower light if the tank has no plants, and use the full power if it does. It is a solid medium light. I have this light on my kid's 20L and I do like it. But at the exact same price as the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, is it really better? Or at least comparable?

I've found finnex planted plus is winning me over.

Planted plus 24/7 sounds great. Fuse ray planted plus is the one that's turned me into a finnex fan. Although I have an Led setup by green element that is amazing.

If she goes with a 20 long, she'd be better off with a finnex stingray maybe. Has enough par for medium-light plants at 12 inches of depth, and is quite a bit cheaper.

A 29 is obviously more versatile than a 20, though if the owner only has a 5 gallon bucket, more effective water changes could be done with a 20. Something to consider.

Outside of that, the choice of stocking would determine which is better.

I've never understand why 15" tall tanks with the same 30" x 12" footprint as the 20 long and 29 aren't sold more frequently in the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom