Protein Skimmer / Hood Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello - in the process of setting up a 40-gallon FOLWER. My LFS has recommended the Coralife Super-Skimmer rated for up to 65 gallons. '

Does anyone have an opinion on this protein skimmer for my aquarium?

Secondly, if I do go with this particular protein skimmer, my hood (the glass panel on top with the lid opening) will no longer work as the skimmer will protrude into the tank to far for the glass to lay down properly. So I was thinking I could pick up a small sheet of plexiglass and use a jigsaw and notch out the areas for the skimmer, heater, etc. and fashion a hinged door along the front for access into the aquarium.

Any opinions or advice on whether using plexiglass to fix this problem would be good or bad?

I've not heard good things about the Coralifes which is a shame because we have one (125) for a 50G we're about to upgrade to. The Reef Octopus and MRC seem to be the ones most praised in my reading.

The skimmer is going into a sump correct? I'm afraid I may be a bit confused regarding your plexiglass application.

Actually I intend to hand the skimmer on the back of the aquarium. I'll look into those other brands you mention - thanks!

Sure thing! For HOB skimmers, a lot of good things have been said about the CPR backpacks. I personally have no experience with them though.

I have two local LFS and the other store suggested for my set-up a Seaclone rated at 100-gallons would work well so I may look at it. I just looked at it online and it sure seems smaller than the Coralife skimmer.

I started out with a package deal in the beginning...... and it came with a coralife skimmer. I later upgraded to an asm g3 and my other tank has an octopus NW150. I absolutely love the octopus skimmer. For the price it can not be beat. I would really consider NOT getting the coralife skimmer....I couldn't believe the difference when I switched...it was amazing. Hope that helps out! :)

Thanks for the advice! When I looked at the Coralife at my LFS it seemed very complex - more so than most of the other skimmers I have seen ... and it's a big skimmer which I'm afraid will make my modest 40-gallon tank set-up look like a chemistry lab!

I'm new to the SW scene and cycling a my 1st tank a 120 FOWLR and asked a similar question and the Reef Octopus kept coming up in the replies so I investigated then bought the RO BH-800s HOB. I'm not an expert but this thing has removed all kinds of smelly stuff and has made the tank crystal clear, I would say it works and works well. I needed an HOB because I chose to go with a canister not a sump. Mind you it is 20 inches high most of it is behind the tank though. I would recommend the RO.

I'll definitely look into the Reef Octopus units. I was hoping to buy a unit tomorrow from one of my LFS and they seem to carry Coralife, SeaClone, and a few other units more for big tanks.

Back
Top Bottom