protozin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
some of my dwarf neon rainbowfish have whitespot in my tank and I have got some protozin, but on the back it says to halve the dosage for scale-less species. I have bumblebee fish, corys and a bristlenose in there aswell but I am most worried about my african dwarf frogs, are they fine with the medication?

Also, do I have to remove the carbon from my filter and is it ok to use protozin with Tetra aqua EasyBalance? thanks

it is called whitespot here and I think Ich in America.

What is the temperature method and does it work? if protozin is better and not harmful to my other fish, I'd like to use it as I already have it.

Those medications are not sold in the US, so I have no idea how strong/weak, etc they are or whether your fish will be fine.

The heat method of killing ich is a tried and true method using heat about 87F for a prolonged period of time (2 weeks or so, after you see the last ich spot). It is less harmful to your fish than medication usually. Remember to raise the temp slowly, and make sure you can make it about 86-87F. Anything less than that, and you are really just encouraging the ich to multiply faster. You may also want to consider dropping the water level in your tank by an inch or two, to increase surface agitation. Hotter water holds less oxygen, but not at a detrimental level for your fish.

If you'd like to know the scientifics behind it, check out the ich article, in the articles section, which is linked at the top of the site.

HTH

The temperature method is raising you temperature slowly above 86 F. 88f is a good target to allow for fluctuations. At that temperature the free swimming form cannot live and will die. You will see the white spots disappear and after two weeks or so you can turn the temp back down. Be sure to increase aeration as warmer water holds less O2. That is all there is to it. No meds, no harmful chemicals. It is the best way to go.

Do not use those chemicals which may or may not work and which can harm many different kinds of fish, thats why there is the half dose warning for certain fish. At a half dose the stuff barely works and since you have the BN and the cories any dose above half will probably kill the pleco, just go with the heat method.

Back
Top Bottom