Psycho's 75 fowlr build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah alright then, I thought you had live sand in there. Well then just leave the shrimp inside till its completely gone. Cycling using this method takes about 1 to 2 months but the bacteria it creates is very beneficial for the aquarium. Your parameters are going to be all over the place. Keep testing every day and monitoring when the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike. For the first week my ammonia didn't spike at all. It finally spiked at about a month and I lost a fish:( RIP Finley <3

Yeah I'm going to be patient and when it seems ready I'll probably add the eel because they're really hardy

not a great photo. all of my rock and sand are in. Set up to provide a few hiding places, mid level for fish and low for the eel. Also provides ample swimming space for the lionfish.

2ibkhp3.jpg

Looks good! If you don't mind me asking, it looks like the left side of the back wall was not painted?

Looks good! If you don't mind me asking, it looks like the left side of the back wall was not painted?

That's the overflow. I still decided to paint the back blue because I love the way lionfish look against blue.

Also I forgot to add, put no carbon in your filter for your QT. if your treating your fish with meds the medication will be diluted/taken out by the carbon.

I was reading your earlier posts about the eel and not sure if it'll escape with the gap. You added the plastic thing they gave you with the glass canopy right? If so, you can cut that piece to fit your filtration and wires. That's what I did and I have tiny gaps which I'm sure an eel can't fit through. Here's a pic.

Use an exsacto knife, itll crack if you use scissors. Cut it like if you were to cut paper, just it'll take more movement of the blade to eventually cut it.

Attachments

• image-569008638.jpg
    image-569008638.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-4227119331.jpg
    image-4227119331.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3557210792.jpg
    image-3557210792.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 59
Use an exsacto knife, itll crack if you use scissors. Cut it like if you were to cut paper, just it'll take more movement of the blade to eventually cut it.

Thanks. I did add the plastic, and i can slide it in a way that there is a very very small opening for wires or slide it so it covers everything so I'm good to go.
I certainly appreciate it though.

Funny you should ask that, I have the exact same fixture. I'm sorry to tell you but they don't support any corals. They are 1 watt LEDs, they aren't powerful enough

And for the "reef capable" LEDs from marineland, those aren't even good enough for corals. Best thing to do for corals in my opinion is a DIY led fixture

And for the "reef capable" LEDs from marineland, those aren't even good enough for corals. Best thing to do for corals in my opinion is a DIY led fixture

Ah okay just curious. My nitrates will probably be a little too high anyway. Just a thought.

Here's the lights. Very happy with the way they make my tank look, although this is my first purchase of lights for an aquarium. (other than the cheap florescents that come with cheap freshwater aquariums).

2qa92lx.jpg

1059tg0.jpg

I am still trying to decide on a final stocking list.

The only definites are
Russell's Lionfish (max size 10-11 inches)
Snowflake eel

Potentially:
Flame angel
Yellow eye kole tang
foxface
some type of smaller butterflyfish?
some type of larger wrasse?
some type of larger chromis?
some type of larger clown?
smaller puffer?
some type of anthias?

I am striving to get 5 fish (including the eel and lionfish)
So that leaves me 3 more.
I want a fish that won't harass the lionfish, but won't get eaten by him, won't outgrow the tank, and will be fairly hardy.

suggestions?

I'm really not an expert in this field of the hobby but I think there's a species of wrasses that can be put in a predator tank

I'm really not an expert in this field of the hobby but I think there's a species of wrasses that can be put in a predator tank

I think there are a few, but I want to make sure they're not too aggressive. Lionfish are pretty docile and don't swim much. I don't want mine getting picked on. A lot of wrasse are also skinny, so more susceptible to being eaten.
A harlequin tusk would be awesome, if i had a bigger tank.

Ammonia looks around .25
Nitrites look around 4.0

The tests are a bit hard to read, but I need them to get to zero anyway.
Haven't tested nitrates or PH in a while. I will in a few days.

Today nitrites and ammonia came as zero, but nitrates only read 10ppm. I did get a big nitrite spike though. I'm going to test again tomorrow.

I decided to take the tank in a new direction though so I'm going to start a new thread in members saltwater tanks, as I am doing a reef.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hey! I have a suggestion to make for your lighting. If you're looking to get good lighting go with rapidLED or taotronics. They work fantastic from what I've heard. I ordered a taotronics fixture, not the same name but the same specification

Back
Top Bottom