Puffer fish and snails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have these Dwarf puffers that have spent 3 days in my new tank. (they are new as well). I fed them brine shrimp with much success, but when placing my java moss and red ramshorn snails, they took a few nips at the snails, then they don't pay much attention to them, they make look at them, but that is it. Do these puffers not like the snails? I am afraid I am going to have a big snail problem in my new tank...:hide:

How old are these puffers? Puffers that are real young may not be up for snails just yet. Mine finds them a bit hard right now though he tries. He nips small pieces off then quits for a day or 2.

Try krill with the shell on for now and see if there interest peaks over time for the snails. If snails aren't there thing try small clams. They have to eat good or they will turn on each other. Without the shelled food the teeth over grow and they wont be able to eat at all. Then you will have to trim them yourself.

Keep a close eye on these puffers because they will try to nip each other causing major damage ti fins etc. If this becomes a problem you need to separate them. I'm assuming they are the GSP or figure 8 puffers.
FW/Brackish Puffers really should solo a tank.
Is this new tank cycled? Puffers are scaleless and are intolerant to Ammonia and Nitrites. This will cause all kinds of problems like stress and disease. When puffers stress 1 of 2 things happen: illness or too much aggression.

These are dwarf puffers or pea puffers. Completely fresh water and they don't require snails etc, but it is a good treat for them. They don't have the same forever growing tooth or beak thing like GSP's do. They seem to still be at a young age. Yes, this tank is cycled. (if if all worked correctly).

That's a good thing. I'm not up to speed on snail breeding because I don't do it. But I imagine that if they do breed the eggs/snails may very well get eaten while very young.

General rule for snails and puffers is that they might not go after a snail larger than one of their eyes. Especially being young it might just take some time.. but once they get the hang of it, they will probably kill all snails they see and not eat them.. in which case you'll have a huge mess to clean

I dont have any experience with Dwarf Puffers, but i have a GSP and he eats snails like humans do M&M's. I bet your puffers will eventually eat the snails. Just give them time to adapt to the new home. Mine was really shy for the first couple days but now he eats like a champ.

I have been looking in to dwarf puffers as well and from what I have read they will go after snails much larger than themselves. Just give it time they are young and still adjusting to their new home.

So I have these Dwarf puffers that have spent 3 days in my new tank. (they are new as well). I fed them brine shrimp with much success, but when placing my java moss and red ramshorn snails, they took a few nips at the snails, then they don't pay much attention to them, they make look at them, but that is it. Do these puffers not like the snails? I am afraid I am going to have a big snail problem in my new tank...:hide:
if you dont want and infestation put only one ramshorn snail in. they cant reproduce if there is only one

Being new it may take some time for them to get used to their new home. As long as it's eating well, give them time to go for the snails and at some point, you'll be wishing you had more. Lots of hidey-holes are important for puffers too.

My GSP wiped out a colony (100+) of pond and ramshorn snails in the first 24-36hrs. They also like to stalk their prey, I watched one puffer pick at a larger ramshorn for 10 minutes till it got bored and finished it off in one gulp.

My GSP used to want me to squish the snail before he would eat it. I would squish them and drop the shell et al right ontop of him.

He was fairly small and I traded him in before he got much bigger, but by the time I traded him he was taking them down all by himself.

Ok, thanks. I guess I will wait and see. I don't see much snails roaming around, but I think they are hiding in the java moss, where my puffers are as well.

Yea, my DPs only eat frozen food. Haven't tried flakes, but I am sure they are not as nutritious as frozen foods. E.x. Blood worms and brine shrimp.

My young GSP ate flakes, but only if they fell infront of his face. He more readily wanted to eat brine shrimp, bloodworms, crawfish, snails and (human food) shrimp.

Really didn't like the feeding of crawfish, which is one of the reasons I traded him. But it was the easiest way to see how intelligent the fish is. The way it attacked really showed it.

fishman1234 said:
Can you feed pufers on flakes?are they compatable with ADFs?

If its a pea puffer then the water parameters are fairly similar. Only one of 2 things will happen. Either the adf won't move much and avoid the attention of the puffer, or the adf won't be able to move fast enough or often enough to avoid being pecked on.

Any other type of puffer requires brackish-full marine water (reguardless of what your lfs says) and adf's will not tolerate any salt.

If you plant and decorate your tank enough to break up the line of sight you may be able to get away with the 2 species together. But I personally wouldn't risk it.

Back
Top Bottom