Puffer fish in freshwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have six green dotted puffers and they are doing very well with other community fish like cichlids and Tiger barbs but I want to know what will happen if I keep them in freshwater forever?

I can't make the water brackish because of other freshwater fish in same tank. Please let me know is it OK to keep them in freshwater?

They're brackish fish, they're pretty aggressive too from what I've read. May want to reconsider the setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're brackish fish, they're pretty aggressive too from what I've read. May want to reconsider the setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^^^^ The green spotted puffer is brackish when young and full marine when adult (wild adults spend most of their time in the ocean) . They will do well in freshwater for a very short period of time before health issues occur. Do not keep it in freshwater please. And yes they are very aggressive as adults, your other fish will have a chunk taken out of them by this aggressive fish. Don't be deceived, they may seem to be docile and friendly now but it'll only be a matter of time before your other fish will be attacked. I suggest getting a separate tank for these guys or returning them to the fish shop.

P.S Six green spotted puffers,tiger barbs and cichlids is the perfect mixture for disaster-it'll never work out. How big is your tank?

Back
Top Bottom