Puffers and Me ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just fallen in love with the Little Green Puffers F/w. I noticed alot on this site have them..
I have been reading about them on here as well.
The only draw back is the snail feeding thing.. I can't feed a live thing to another..Is there a good replacement for live snails is just the hardness of the shell?
I would like a tank just for them

Karla :lol:

Why can't you? Its only natural, They eat these things in the wild.

Its your responsibility as caregiver to keep them happy with as close to natural enviroment as possible in a glass square.

So make them happy, give them their snail treat :)

I just got a whole bunch and I absolutely love them!! They are absolutely adorable! I am trying to raise snails for them, but it's not really working... no eggs yet. I am currently feeding them frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and krill. I hear that the shell of the krill will also help wear their teeth down. I am still going for the snails though. It's the circle of life, living things eat other living things, that's how I look at it anyway. Hopefully some of the other more knowledgable puffer keepers will have more advice. :)

I have 14 puffers & rarely feed them snails. If the "green" puffers are the puffers that intrigue you, you may be thinking of the more commonly called green spotted puffers (T nigroviridis). These are not FW, but actually high-end BW puffers, that prefer SW as adults. They also grow to 6" & require 20-30g. If you're looking for a smaller FW puffer, the dwarf puffer makes a nice pet too. If you need more info, just ask.

This is the exact same problem I have, dogartist... I have absolutely fallen in love with the dwarf puffers at my lfs, but I can't stand the thought of feeding something live to them. I'm one of those people who will actually let a bug bite me instead of killing it...I'm crazy, I know...

Pufferpunk, I've love to hear about what you feed your dwarf puffers...

Pufferpunk your pics of your tanks are beautiful !!..I would like to know also what you feed yours...so cute and healthy.....It is the little dwarf green ones..

I would never have something that I couldn't keep as close to their home as I could make..that's why I ask before I act...

My dwarfs eat live blackworms (but would probaby eat frozen too) & freeze-dried plankton & krill. One of the reasons I don't bother w/too many snails is that they live in a 50g tank & I just don't think they'd find them in there very well.

So it's not the dwarf... It's the BW one that grows to 6". Like the big guys in my SW tank.

Chikadee, You have a whole bunch of these?

I'm sure I have a bunch of dwarf puffers and not the green spots. I went to Petsmart like everyone suggested and those were the only FW puffers they had. They're not green, kind of yellowish brownish, and a lot smaller than any of the GSP I've seen at the lfs. No worries, I did my research first! :)

... The frozen krill is a big bomb with my puffies. They refuse to eat it, and it really smells bad too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom