Pump Size Vs 2 Overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMorris271

Aquarium Advice Regular
With dual corner overflows, do I double the pumps capacity to handle both drains velocity requirements ? I don't know if I can cut back drainage enough to balance the Syncre 3.0 max.

600 GPH @ 5' of head
1"drain size drains 600 gph
9" overflow

Thanks for your answers.
Go Gamecocks!

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. With the pump only providing 600gph and the drains double that, there is no outstanding issue needing matching.

Hob overflows do need to be run near maximum to prevent air buildup, but drilled overflows don't have that issue. Sometimes running a drain too slow makes it harder to silence, but a gate valve before the sump should solve that issue if it arises.

Why are you limiting yourself to only a 600 gph pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

so I will need to dial back the drains to have a quiet system?
The Sicce 3 puts out about 714 or so. My 2 powerheads each do around 1150 The combined flow would be around 3,000 GPH. The tank I am setting up is 120 gals. So that gives me a turnover rate of 25X which is good movement in the tank and easy on the fuge. Minus head

It just comes down to the plumbing and resulting noise level. Most overflow systems run quietest when there is a good amount of flow. If the flow is too low, water won't fill the pipes, and getting air in there makes them noisy. It all depends on the type of overflow system you are using. Personally I like my Herbie overflow as the gate valve allows flow rates from very little to maximum while being almost silent throughout the range.

So you are going with a smaller return pump because of turnover? It is normally a better idea to have a larger return pump and then use a ball valve to dial it back than doing so at the drain.

I think he already has the pump, which is unfortunate as I don't think it's near big enough.

Rule if thumb is at least 5x turnover thru the sump, or 600 gph min for your 120. Pump rate is based on the headloss chart. Headloss is measured as the hight difference between the top of the water in the return section of the sump to the water level in the tank. Plumbing locations don't matter here (ie where the outflow pipe is or the pump hieght). Add 1' for every 90 deg bend in the return plumbing.

Sicce 3.0 for 3.5' headloss plus 1x90 is just over 500gph.

To the OP, I am running a mag 18 for my return pump on my 125. Thats 1800gph minus the headloss. I will state that it seems to be a bit too much flow through my sump, but i am feeding a total of 4 nozzles so i get decent flow from each nozzle. I dont know about your particular return setup (i have 1 return on each side with 2 jet nozzles on eqch side) but a 600 gph pump, minus headloss, feeding atleast 2 (if not 4) nozzles isnt going to fet you much flow out of each nozzle

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom