PUR filter and pH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jun

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been using a PUR faucet filter and Prime for my tap water to make it safe for my fish.

When I run my tap water through the PUR filter the pH is a lovely 6.8. When I don't, the tests read a much more startling 8.2 - not a number cohesive to the fish I am keeping. Ideally, I'd like to be able to empty and fill my tank from the sink without using buckets, but I can't connect the python to the Pur faucet piece, so I can only empty it with the python and have to turn on the filter and run buckets back and forth to fill it back up.

This is the list of things the Pur filter supposedly removes: >Link<

My question is: Is there something on that list that would give a false pH reading? Or is the filter actually altering the pH of the tap?

Opinions? Tests I can run? Thanks in advance!

What are you testing the pH with? Due to the fact that PUR removes a lot of the alkaline minerals from the water it produces water that is more acidic.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your Tap Water

Hello Jun...

Are you keeping and breeding a rare fish species? If you're keeping fish from the local pet store, then you don't need to know the pH, hardness of any of that chemistry stuff. Fish will adapt to most public tap water supplies. The pet stores are using the same tap water you use. So, don't worry about the chemicals that make up your tap water. Just use Seachem's "Safe" or another product that removes chlorine and chloramine. Then, change out half the tank water weekly to remove dissolved fish wastes and your fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B

I'm using an API liquid test kit to test the water.

BBradbury, thank you for your thoughts. :) I generally am a fan of leaving the water alone- but I'm keeping wild type bettas (Betta ocellata) that, while hardy, do not do well in higher pH, and I feel there are few fish aside from African cichlids that would do well in an environment with a pH as high as 8.2-8.4.

I've been using a PUR faucet filter and Prime for my tap water to make it safe for my fish.

When I run my tap water through the PUR filter the pH is a lovely 6.8. When I don't, the tests read a much more startling 8.2 - not a number cohesive to the fish I am keeping. Ideally, I'd like to be able to empty and fill my tank from the sink without using buckets, but I can't connect the python to the Pur faucet piece, so I can only empty it with the python and have to turn on the filter and run buckets back and forth to fill it back up.

This is the list of things the Pur filter supposedly removes: >Link<

My question is: Is there something on that list that would give a false pH reading? Or is the filter actually altering the pH of the tap?

Opinions? Tests I can run? Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure this has come up before and the filter was altering ph. Can't find anything though if anyone knows?

Have you tested tap water after letting it stand in a jar for 24 hours to de-gas, etc. This will give true ph for comparison. Mine is something like 8.2 from tap and 7.6 or 7.8 roughly after 24hrs in a glass.

Hello Jun...

Are you keeping and breeding a rare fish species? If you're keeping fish from the local pet store, then you don't need to know the pH, hardness of any of that chemistry stuff.

Uh, that "chemistry stuff" is kind of important. I can't keep Mollies in my soft, acidic tap water. I've also seen multiple posts over the six or so months from folks who have 10-40 ppm nitrate in their tap water. Good luck keeping Rams or other sensitive species in those conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Still can't find anything and it is late here. It looked like these filter units have carbon and maybe some sort of ion-exchange resin?

Also just thinking it might be interesting to test the filtered water after letting it stand for 24hrs. This would test if it is a permanent water ph change.

I'm curious about the degassed ph of the water as well.

The other option is to get a reverse osmosis unit and mix that water with straight tap to lower your ph.

Thank you all for your responses and trying to find answers for me. I appreciate it! Since we're all curious, and now I am too, I will leave both the unfiltered and filtered tap water out for 24 hours and report back on the findings. :D

For science!

Back
Top Bottom