Purchasing RO/DI unit on Ebay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been reading past threads on RO/DI units, and have a question. From the two units (links) below, the only difference I can really see is that one has clear canisters the other solid white and the price. The clear one is $179.00 (75 gpd and upgradable), the white is $96.00 (85 gpd). Price wise, it doesn't matter to me, it's just confusing seeing so many different ones out there and want something reliable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20684&item=4381135740&tc=photo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4381240448

Any suggestions or preferences before I take the plunge?

Thanks! :D

Great question! I was just trying to figure out how to blow some ebay points I earned and hadn't thought of this. I think I might get one as well.

Anyone have any advice for us?

TIA

We have a unit from Filter Direct. Our DI cartridge is clear (not sure if they are anymore or not. It doesn't look like it from the picture). The pressure tank that's in those pictures isn't really necessary if all you are going to do with it is fill up tank water. You'd need a pressure tank if you wanted to pour a drinking glass of the stuff because otherwise you'd go nuts waiting for it to pour. I just turn mine on and go back to it in 2 hrs and I have a 6g jug of water filled (or if my hubby is in charge of it then he doesn't tell me it is on and we turn it off when we get home from work :roll: ) Luckily we put the 5g bucket in the sink so when it overflows it is just (ahem) going down the drain rather than all over our floor!

This is the one we have and we're happy with it (read: getting 0 TDS water):
My ebay RO/DI from FilterDirect

The other item that you listed looked like a 4 stage unit. I'd go with 6 over 4... but I guess 0TDS is 0TDS! As long as the 4 stage gets you there it doesn't matter?

Thanks Phyl for the reply. I looked at the pic on the link you posted and the DI cartridge is clear (if that is the one that sits horizontal on the top with the blue ends).

I was planning to keep mine under the sink as well. How many buckets to I need under the sink? One for the RO/DI water and one for the 'waste water'?

My waste water is hooked into the drain under my sink. A very simple saddle install. No brainer. I run the water into a bucket sitting in the sink. You could get the float valve and fill a trash can as well. You'd probably waste a lot less water that way by forgetting to turn the system off!!

I just hooked it up under the sink, and had the outlet hose run straight to the office where my tank is at. Fills up my 22 gal. Sterilite tub with a float vavle... couldn't be simpler. :D

Instant pure water overnight with no worries of possible overflows! Here's some pics: (no kitten included)

Edit: "Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 2 MB" 8O What's up with that? Moderators... can this be helped?

Just a couple of things I saw which I suppose explains some of the difference in price...

I was looking back at the two Ebay links I posted and the more expensive one has a 1 micron sediment filter and 1 mircon carbon block filter; three year guarantee. The less expensive one is 5 micron sediment filter but doesn't mention the microns on the carbon.

I guess I am debating over it because I don't want to make a purchase and then later down the road regret it because I didn't check it out. :| (Like not buying the ones with the pressure tank). Right now, I don't really care about drinking water tank, but for those of you who don't have that feature, do you wish you had it now?

But the installation does sound like it's pretty easy, so that is a relief!

You know, I spent an entire MONTH debating on which unit to get. Microns, carbons, yadda yaddas... and in the end... I just realized that both units will give you pure water with 0 TDS. If it weren't for Aquarium Advice Forums, I would probably still be putting in tap water. 8O

The replacement cartridges on the filterdirect model are cheap... so I went the economical way. Does it give me pure water? Yes. Is it as fancy as the more expensive ones? Yes. Although it doesn't have some built in features like in-line TDS meters or pressure gauges. If you have the money, get the Aqua FX Barracuda. If you want a less expensive alternative, go with the one from ebay. Just my .02 :D

I went with the majority vote here and got one from Filterdirect. I agree with you guys, it's going to give me quality water 0 TDS, and that is what we're looking for. I did go ahead and order the TDS meter and a float valve.

Now just awaiting for my goodies to arrive.... :roll:

Thanks everyone for the help! Much appreciated :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom