Pure white oranda?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought what is supposed to be a pure white Oranda, this evening. When I tried looking on the internet for white Orandas, there were only a very, very few listed. She is about 3"- 4"long and has the gorgeous flowing multiple tail. I might possibly see a wen starting to develop as her head is definitely not smooth. I will try to get a picture of her tomorrow but it might be hard to see her against the translucent container.

When I got her home, I did see a red spot on her head and a little at the base of the tail, so I removed the carbon from the filter and am taking her through a Maracyn treatment. When I am done with that, I will give her a couple of days off and then do a PraziPro treatment. I was wondering if pure white Orandas are uncommon? I could only find a couple of pictures of pure white ones. She looks like a matt white but I will be able to tell in the morning with natural light if she is matt white or silver white. At this point I am not totally convinced that she truly is an Oranda. She has a slight egg shape but seems a bit longer than the traditional Oranda. Maybe she was under fed or just a juvenile and not showing all of the characteristics of an Oranda. If she truly is an Oranda, will the white coloring change as she becomes older?

The owner of the fish shop was there tonight. Their normal policy is to trade an overgrown Plecostomus with a smaller one. He was impressed with Sucky and his beautiful pattern and the fact he was a lighter green. I too agreed he was the prettiest Pleco in the tank.

He was also impressed with my comet. She has a beautiful tail, good size, extremely healthy and perfectly shaped physique. He traded my two for two of the Bristle nosed Plecostomus. They were all valued at $14.99. So I got 2 bristle nose free and only had to buy one. None of the employees would have been so generous. Before when I had talked to someone in the shop, he was only going to give me $5 for the Sucky.

The Bristle Nose plecostomus only gets as large as 4-1/2". Should be perfect for my 120 gallon tank.

I did receive my new motor yesterday. It is doing just a little better than the last one. We have checked everything. In fact, we had already done everything the representative suggested when I called Hagen. We even ran the filter with no media and it made no difference. I sat down this evening and told them everything that had been done. They are obviously having problems with the control cards in the motors. The card shuts off the unit every 24 hours to purge air. It is equipped with Smart Pump Technology*- An electronic circuit board is employed to continually monitor the pump. Impeller speed and force are constantly measured to ensure powerful output and energy efficiency. Obviously the circuit boards are failing to do that.

I have requested a total filter replacement. I want one with the filtering rate and force that it used to have. I also told them that I would not return the old filter until I get the new one. The current motor is doing some filtering and I absolutely refuse to do 50% water changes everyday for another week-and-a-half!

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new fish! Great job keeping them healthy in the middle of the filter mishap!(y)(y)

Looking forward to a picture of your new fish! What you can try is to put her (or him) in a clear glass bowl/small tank and place it on top of something black for a top view pic then hold something black on the side for a side view pic. It will make the her color more obvious. Glad things worked out well with the pleco and comet and that you are standing up for yourself in respect to the filter! :)

Sorry JLK I haven't found a glass container big enough to put her in.

I found an orange spot developing on my oranda's fin. So apparently she is not going to be pure white. Excited to watch new colors develop, what kinds and how much.

Back
Top Bottom