Purifying Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have found some nice river rocks. They have been in a garden for a few years and i think they would look nice in my aquarium. The problem is is that im not sure if they would be safe because they have some moss and like some bird poop on them. Is there a way i can purify them so they can work? If so, how?

Scrub the hell outta them. Repeat several times. I would boil them for hours on end and ONLY then would I try the vinegar test on the rocks. If they fizz with vinegar on them...toss them far, far away. You are asking to wipe out your tank if they aren't sterile. Speaking from experience. Let me know if it works out with the cleansing.

I agree, scrub them alot but dont I repeat DO NOT boil the rocks! If they have air trapped inside you are creating a rock bomb.

What if i put them in a bucket outside, then poured boiling water over them?

The problem with rocks from your yard/garden is that you have no idea over the years the type of chemicals they have been exposed to. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Ok gotcha, and some people say to soak them in bleach, would that help too?

The problem with rocks from your yard/garden is that you have no idea over the years the type of chemicals they have been exposed to. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

And yeah i see what you mean...like weed killer and fertilizer and stuff. Think there is any way to get that stuff off? The rock is mostly smooth and not very porous if that helps at all.

Misterpenguin4 is actually right on boiling the rocks. You have to actually know what kinda rock you have before you boil it. My bad. Geology is a hobby of mine so I know what I can do with stones and rocks I find. Take out my advice on the rock boiling. Pouring hot boiling water won't do much good really except take off the outer layer of dirt and assorted crap. Get a good stiff brush and give it a serious clean and rinse and repeat many times then do the vinegar test.

And yeah i see what you mean...like weed killer and fertilizer and stuff. Think there is any way to get that stuff off? The rock is mostly smooth and not very porous if that helps at all.

Unless your a chemist, which I'm not, how would you know if a chemical could bond or even be removed. I seriously don't know so the risk isn't worth it.

Boiling would your best bet. I'd boil it and forget it. Or even soak them for about a week. Put them in a bucket with water. Dump and refill the bucket every day for a week or two. Simple

Just soak, and scrub. Or if you have a bonfire outside throw them in before you leave the fire, just to be safe, and hope they don't break...then scrub them. That might do it.

Ok thanks everyone! Im not real sure if I want to risk it yet, but at least I can try cleaning them and see if they pass the vinegar test!

Others will disagree with me but I've got 11 limestone rocks totalling probably 60 or 70 lbs in my tank that I scrubbed with dish detergent and boiled for no more than 5 or 10 minutes. I've had no issues with the rocks or the ph.

K i'm bringing this thread back because i just got some rock out of a river in south dakota. I have begun scrubbing them clean of dirt and a bit of algae. What should my next move be? Should i soak it in something? They are in a bucket with water right now.

Back
Top Bottom