Purigen 100ml in place of carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satchel_Paige

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a well established 30 gallon tank and am just looking at ways to make the water levels as optimum as possible for my fish. I already do weekly water changes and check the levels daily with the api master kit. I currently run both an aquaclear 50 and a tetra whisper pf10 filters. I was doing my weekly cleaning today and already had to replace the carbon in both my pf10 and my aquaclear 50. I was reading about the purigen 100 ml mesh packs to use in place of the carbon in both filters. My father already uses it in his 10 gallon and it seems to really clean up his water. I just don't know with the purigen if I use that in place of or with the carbon. Also I came across a few discussions about removing the bio bag at the top of the aquaclear filters as they just turn into nitrate producers rather than being helpful. Should I remove those and just use both the carbon and the purigen? I have a lightly planted tank with some snails and plecos so I don't want to completely remove it all but clearer water and better quality water is something I'd always like, especially if it doesn't break the bank or I'd have a cannister filter. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 20150321_203412.jpg
    20150321_203412.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 77
Gorgeous tank!
I don't use carbon unless I'm removing something specific from the water (medication or whatnot). I have 2 AC50s on my 36g and in one I run a mesh baggie of Purigen atop some felt and under biomax. I don't use carbon, just a foam pad, filter floss, 100 micron felt and biomax to keep the beneficial bacteria happy.
Carbon helps if there's a heavy smell to the water, and to remove medications. I haven't needed it much beyond that IME.
Good luck!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Back
Top Bottom