Purple Tang about to die but why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a PT and I know it is going to die but I would like to know why. I have 2 green chromi and a green manderine who are doing fine. But the PT its stomach is compressed and get is gasping for air any ideas? He has been fine but I found him between to rocks today I though his haed was stuck but I guess no its much more serious. Its only a 65gal tank all paramaters are in check I knew I was going to need to take it back but now Im not going to have the chance I;ve only had it for 3 days.

SeriousDude5 said:
But the PT its stomach is compressed and get is gasping for air any ideas?
Sounds like malnutrition. How long have you had it and what's the primary diet? Gasping for air could be a sign of hyperplasia or possible pH issues in the tank. Any recent problems in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Only 3 days. Has been eating stuff in tank noting I put in though. Looked fine this morning and the days before it. It took a turn for the worst in hours. It looked fat this morning but tonight its belly is contracted. Now it is at the stop stuck on a chord gasping at the top. I have a 2 green chromi and 1 green manderine both fine.

Just got out of the shower needed to chew some tobacco as well <nerves> the purple tang has passed cleaning crew is fast at work. I hope it doesnt spread to the rest of the tank at leat it went fast :'( time to remove the carcus.

The only thing I can possible offer is the presence of a trematode or internal protozoan perhaps. Both would explain the rapid wasting. The problem is either cannot be properly ID'd without a microscope. Treatment otherwise is generally trial and error.

Metronidazole is generally good against internal protozoans but should be mixed/soaked with foods to be properly effective. Formalin baths are generally effective with trematodes or similar.

Cheers
Steve

Is there a posibility of it spreading to other fish? Right now I thrw it outside my loss is going back to the enviorment. Something will feast of it. The only good thing that came out of this was it died before I went to bed if it rotted in there over night then problems would happen. Though my cleaning crew was fast to act I wrestled with a crab to remove it.

I posted at the end of your other thread... Please try sticking to one thread per topic, less confusing :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom