Purple tang dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bix

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I've had a purple tang for about a week and a half. It has been in quarantine and I noticed ick almost right away so I dropped the salinity to 1.009.

Tang was fine for a week and a half and was eating like a pig. The ick was completely gone last night and the tang ate a bunch of nori like usual. I get up this morning and the tang is doing somersaults and mostly swimming upside down. Also keeps bumping into things. Now for the last few hours he has been in the same pvc and keeps losing colour.. he's almost completely white now.

He's breathing really quick and will flap his fins really fast and then stop for a little while.

Not sure what to do?

Tank parameters are 0-0-10.

Now he's really struggling to move, doesn't look good :(

What could kill a healthy purple tang so quick?

Attachments

• IMG-20110426-00060.jpg
    IMG-20110426-00060.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-20110426-00059.jpg
    IMG-20110426-00059.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 95
Could be stress from transportation. How long was it at the lfs. Could be something internal that is unknown as well.

I hope you bring the salinty back up. I believe your suppose to fresh dip and use copper for the fish

Was at the lfs for about a week then in my tank for a week and a half.

Seemed like a normal healthy fish, wasn't skittish unless you were moving around quick, if you stood there he would stare right back at you.

Weird thing is that my main tank actually cracked that night. The tang was on the floor above it though. Both fish from the main tank survived because I got to it before it completely drained. I actually sold the flame angel today who was perfectly fine and the dogface puffer is fine too.

Sorry forgot to mentioned that. But salinity that low for a period of time can stress a fish out and a fish with ick will have a low immune system to begin with will not handle that well.

The salinity was the same for a week and a half. I dropped it over 48 hours. Wouldn't the fish die right away if it was due to salinity? It actually made the fish healthier since it wasn't flashing from the ick anymore.

I've had a couple fish die like that as well! Do you see of it's panting? Or breathing very hard? If so we are thinking a gill parasite I'm currently treating my 55 with coppersafe trying to Make sure no one else gets it

It's definitely breathing really quickly.

I don't even want to go look anymore though :(

Just looked again, pretty much the same but the fish has kinda stiffened up, still breathing and waving its fins once in a while but not moving at all.

Honestly after my 3rd died :( I just took him out o water he isn't turning back
Now and is suffering :( sorry for him to suffer but I had a foxface, blond tang and a week ago coral beauty who all got this gill parasite that killed them in less then 24hrs it scared me and puzzled me because everyone else seemed to be fine which was weird. Good thing he is in the quarantine tank cause I'm in a load of mess for it happening in the display tank :( maybe try Melafix and the natural herbals in the quarantine tank it really helped my hippos tang fin grow back and I had good success with it :) the only downside is because it's natural it takes a little while to work.

And Melafix won't kill gill parasites you'll need chemicals for that :(

Should I take the fish out? I can't get anything until tomorrow and even then they don't open until 10am... this sucks

Still right side up but getting stiffer looking, and whiter, looks like it can only move its fins and even that looks tough :(

Back
Top Bottom