Python Accessories..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know if they make a smaller gravel vac for the Python? I see they have different leengths, but I want more suction. And to get the suction, I need a smaller diameter gravel vac. Anyone seen anything like this?

I have yet to see one manufacturered by that particular company but, if memory serves me right, you may be able to use a smaller vac from another company, especially if the tubes are compatible.

LWB, you probably already know this, but for those who don't:

A smaller diameter gravel vac will increase the size/weight of the particles it will pick up, but will not increase how fast your tank drains or fills.

Lees Aquarium Products makes a manual siphon gravel vac that is smaller diameter than the Python. You might need to buy a barbed plastic fitting to make it fit with the Python tubing.

Exactly what size do you need?

You can make your own with some clear pvc and a few adapters. Here is a site that has the parts: http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=19

They only sell 10 ft pieces but I'm looking for a link that I have someplace that sells 3 ft pieces. I'll post it when I find it.

EDIT Here it is, this place will sell you what ever length you want, you have to pay $1.00 per cut.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7010

LWB - I posted the same question a week or two ago - it seems that our answer is DIY - ie: no gravel vac out there today has a vac part that will fit the Pythons tubing. I just use a regular (non Python) vac to clean the gravel into a bucket and use the Python for water out and water in. Since I can clean the bottom in just one bucket, and its only one way (out), its sort of a compromise. The other "plus" is that I can leave that 2" tube on the Python and any fish that get caught in the tube can generally fight the current to get out on their own, or at worst, are in there long enough for me to see (and rescue) them before they make the long haul to the sink LOL

BUT - when you come up with a parts list to do the DIY thing (I know you're much handier than I am) please pass it (and the instructions) along :)

Another thought I had was to cut the gravel vac down to only about 4 or 5 inches long. You'll have to stick your hand in father, but the exit fom the gavel vac to the hose is much shorter, and will still pick up a lot more, as the larger stuff will still go into the tube, but is usually too heavy to go all the way up the tube. So if you made that short, then it should get it.

That could work - except in my tank LOL. Since its barebottom with ceramic pots and ceramic caves and ceramic "rocks" with plants attached I need the narrower tube to get in between all the items. Supposedly Python makes a 1" diameter tube for the Python but I've not been able to locate it anywhere

It's a question of velocity. The higher the velocity, the higher the force that is exerted on the particles. The hose moves a specific amount of water and the bigger the vac tube is the lower the velocity in the tube. This is why when you first shove the vac down into the substrate you get a big inrush of material. You have effectively reduced the area that is available for flow thus increasing the velocity. When the material in the tube becomes more fluidized, the velocity slows down and exerts less force on the stones. You need a certain ammount of room in that vac tube for the expansion of the substrate.

I think that if you use the hose without the vac tube, you may be surprised how big a chunk of gravel will be picked up.

BTW, if you choose to use a smaller diameter vac tube you may need to extend it's length too.

True, but in joannde's case, she has a glass bottom. So it might do vey well. Just need to be caeful, as you don't want to suck up any fish. For me, it wouldn't work, as a 75G bottom is quite large, and the hose alone would take up the Eco Complete, which I do not want to do.

I used a smaller vac from aquatic gardens and made a quick connect disconnect adapter from piece made for airhoses from homedepot works like a champ for my oscar tank. When they poop they poophuge.

LWB - haven't tried it without any vac on it yet but nearly did yesterday. Then I scared myself and put the vac back on. I can just see one of the panda cories going SWOOOOOOOSH.

ClubS - I'm not very handy (but do alot of craft work) and I just can't picture the adapter - can you post a pic ?

Hey a light bulb...lol

this may work for LBW

I'm in the process of building my aquarium, and designing my plumbing....I want to integrate the gravel vac into the filter, but I also want to use sand as a substrate....not wanting to suck sand into the filter, I was thinking of cutting a 3/4 tube in half up about 2 or 3"...then cutting slits in line with the remaining 1/2(creating a kind of rake at the end)... in therory the rake would stir up debris, and the smaller tube would pick up a larger particle but the velocity would be broken by the gap between...

you could test this with a stick tied to the hose

I'm looking at my stuff, and I'm not seeing the problem.

I have 4 different gravel vacs (Whenever I buy a used tank + equipment, seems their is always a gravel vac). All of them would fit the python- Pop the clear, flexible plastic tube off the green cap of the python, and pop it on the same part of the other vac. Maybe it's just chance that mine seem to fit? You could maybe use a hose clamp if it is close?

Another idea might be to increase the suction. If you are using an inside sink to power your python, you will almost certainly get more power using an outside faucet, like a garden hose. If you have a multi-story house, you can also get more power by using a sink on the floor beneath you.

I have enough gap in my ductwork to snake the python down to my basement sink. Also, if you have a problem with large stuff (For me, java moss) clogging the python, you can disconnect the faucet side after starting the siphon- In this setup, I find I get more suction just from gravity then I do hooked up to an inside sink on the same floor.

I have two other gravel vacs and neither fit - I think its because the other two are a 1" diameter and not a 2" (which is standard with the Python). The little plastic cap part is too small to fit into the Pythons tubing.
Your suggestions are good if you need more suction - as LWB is. For me I'm just looking for a tube I can get between my decor - I'm liking the adapter idea that ClubS posted about - but I need a picture LOL

OH! Ok, I understand.

Measure the inside of the python drain hose (The clear flexible plastic), and the same for your smaller grav vac. You'll come up with two numbers, maybe 1/2inch and 1/4inch. Go to home depot, in the plumbing aisle, and ask someone working their for a "1/4th inch to 1/2 inch adapter, with hose barbs at both ends."

Or wander around the aisle, you'll see it. It'll probably be next to the flexi tubing, or at least it is at the home depot's I visit.

Here is a picture of a similiar one- http://www.svc.com/c8-4np.html

It doesn't need to look exactly like that, just have hose barbs at both ends. In fact, that's the wrong size, it's using OD mearsurements. :-/

Back
Top Bottom